Revision tkr

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a tkr a year ago which failed due to problem with rotation and alignment, and it all needed to be redone 3 weeks ago after the problem was discovered on a CT scan after I got a second opinion. I have been fitted with a rotating platform long stemmed hinged prosthesis this time and am 3 weeks into my recovery and doing OK, although it's very painful and doesn't bend too well at this stage. I am a fit and active 62 year old and can't wait to get my life back after 12 months of ongoing pain and swelling (and the original surgeon telling me I was just being impatient!! )

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience and if so how the recovery went? Also any ideas how long this type of  prosthesis lasts????! Advice welcome! 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine

Poor you, you certainly have been through the mill! I had nothing as complex as that, just trying to get through it was such a help here. Dont know what I would have done without the guys here.

There are a couple of people on here who will be able to give you the advise you need,  as they have had some terrible problems.

Stay strong, stay safe.

Ann

The Irish One!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Meeeee! I had TKR Dec '13 and had the same experience as you except I waited 2 years after being told nothing was wrong by the surgeon and to "go and live my life "!

I had a revision Dec '15 and,although my bend isn't any better,my pain is much improved (the new doctor did warn me about the bend).

Prostheses last longer these days as long as you don't abuse them with running etc!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh that's good news then, you are doing well if you only had it done in December! Am guessing you are not pain free yet though? Sorry to hear you had to wait 2 years ... The same could have happened to me if I hadn't gone for a second opinion and had scan done. 

Got no intentions of running again, just will be happy to walk pain free! 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i can empathise with you i too have had a revision its been along road for me . im 18mths post revision ,it can take longer to recover from a revision ,i know i have !!. my bend was only70 before op and id say now undr 100 but i can now sit properly  without putting the leg out in front of me .my pain is reduced but not gone .i do have stiffness . especially in the morning .   my problem didnt show up on the scan but i pushed for a revision because of the pain and lack of bend .

my recovery was as i said very slow i put in alot of work to bending that knee and i lost some of my straightenng and sill not able to get it properly straight .my advise to you is watch the straightening and keep at it ,because before the revision i had no problem with straightening so i feel i neglected it after the op as i was obsessed with bending so dont let that happen to you .the new ones should last i really do hope so . not sure what prosthesis i have to be honest but i do know that its different to the last one and i do have rods as well . pm anytime if you need to  x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any problems at all with straightening this time, but for me bending is much slower and more painful. I am only at 3 and a half weeks and can manage 90 ( just) First time around I was doing 120 at this stage. Some people say it takes about a year for recovery, am hoping to be in less pain as the months go on! 

I have osteoporosis as well, so am wondering if my bones will take longer to heal ( rods in them!) ... My surgeon seemed unconcerned at the time. He used cementless rods and said the bone will grow around them and hopefully give a strong bond. He cemented the top piece in the joint though. 

I am glad to hear you are making a good recovery, thanks for the advice.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up