REZUM

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had it done? If so I have so many questions for you?? I had it done a week ago any VERY unhappy with the entire process so far...

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had Turp about 6 weeks ago, had not heard of Rezum till reading about it on this board.  Good luck with your situation, I hope things turn around and go good for you.  Tell us a bit more about yourself and what you are unhappy about.
  • Posted

I just don't understand how hard it is to pee now?? It take all I can do is pee now. I did't have that problem. All I was doing getting up at night peeing.  Now to pee is hard to do.. Did't know that was going to be a major problem after surgery.

• Posted

Leon,

The REZUM procedure applies heat to the prostate in the form of steam. As with all prostate treatments that apply heat, there will be tissue swelling for a while. It is likely that is why you are having difficulties. This should have been explained to you by the doctor before the procedure. After a while the swelling goes down and the tissue that was steamed dies, and the prostate shrinks. Things should improve after that.

If you are completely unable to urinate, you will need to go to the emergency room and have a Foley catheter inserted.

ou should ask your doctor for a measuring beaker so you can find out how much you can urinate at a time. It's important that you are able to almost empty your bladder no matter how long it takes. Keep a log. You will notice improvement rapidly over time. 

Tom

• Posted

I had a REZUM in mid-August and am still having some negative issues....I am having to pee too often, ~ 4 times at night and 4-5 times scattered through-out the day....If you are having a problem peeing or pee very little, either you need to be on a foley catheter or do Self-Cathing...Your URO Doc's nurse can teach you how to Self-Cath...After you pee, then Self-Cath to finish emptying the bladder....Your peeing will improve over time and it takes 6-12 weeks to experience maximum improvement from the REZUM....Most men prefer the Self-Cathing over the Foley...GOOD LUCK!..

• Posted

Randy - if you're able to empty easily now, Myrbetriq might help with the urgency. Day time you seem to be fine - 4-5 times a day is pretty normal, but 4x/night sucks. Try it - you'll know within a couple of weeks if it's helping and I had no side effects from it at all.

• Posted

I agree with Tom. Keep track of how much you drink and void. Tell doc. You will have swelling from the procedure. That will cause the weak stream. Swelling from the stretching as well.
  • Posted

I also have had isues sleeping. I have been taking OTC sleep aids. And last night I read the bottle after I took one and guess what it said.  If you have prostrate or enlarged prosstate DONT TAKE! SO here's one of my issues again. Once I get this out of my system I think this will help. Of course noone told me NOT to take.(Doctor)

Sure  wasn't told anything about sex either from Dr.  I know from reading not to have for two weeks.  But sure didn't know about all the side effects I will have after sex.  So I am very worried about that........... I was looking for a better way of life not all these compcations from having this procedure..............

• Posted

You might experience both Sleeping and Doing # 2 Problems for awhile...I did...I took the OTC sleeping pills when I needed them..........FYI - URO Doc's Don't Tell You about possible complications and continued problems....You learn about the problems from this forum and experience...

• Posted

Self cath and dont' worry about sex. It doesn't hurt anything...my uro told me I could do it the day I had the procedure if I wanted to. I waited a couple of days and was fine.

• Posted

I would like to raise another issue. I am following all forums about Rezum for last 6 month. What concerns me is not even one what patients experiencing within the first few weeks but was is long term results. Does any one can comment on it. Rezum just published 2 years follow up reports and results are encouraged. But I can't find any comments from the patients who had this procedure more then 6 month ago. If someone can comment I would appreciate it.

• Posted

I had it done in March of 2016. I am much improved and so far not retrogressing. I still have some bladder issues (underactive bladder) but pee much better and no longer look for bathrooms everywhere I go or fear trips there. My recovery was slower than normal (couldn't pee at all for over 2 weeks, couldn't pee better than before for 6) but so far, even with the slow start, I'm glad I did it.

• Posted

Hi, I am in need of surgery for BPH. I am 58 years old. Would you recommend the Rezum Procedure. What can you tell me about the surgery pain level and post surgery complications?

I am an airline pilot and I am concerned about have a long term catheter.

Thanks

Phil

• Posted

Hi Phil,

Yes I would recommend it - it helped me a lot. To answer your specific questions:

1) It hurt a lot when they did it. 5 Sprays that lasted 9 seconds each but most of them hurt a lot. If you can get insurance to pay for putting you out or twilighting you, I'd recommend it as my life was not enhanced a bit by experiencing it. About half have a fair amount of pain, the other half, not so much.

Most people can pee well enough to function within a week of the procedure, but some take longer and I was one of them. I couldn't pee at all for over 2 weeks, wasn't back to my old normal for over a month and realized that I was better than before at about 6 weeks. Most men recover more quickly thanthat, but I'm not the only one who took longer.

My doc said that it takes a month to see amy real benefit from the procedure, that most of the help comes weeks 6-12 and at 6 months yu're as good as you're gonna get. 

I STRONGLY recommend you get set up to self cath after the surgery (and before if you're on a foley now). I find the foleys unbearable and self cathing no worse than mildly annoying. Most guys don't need any cath within a week or less, but in case you take longer, self cathing would let you live pretty normally - even fly if you wanted to (you can hide caths discreetly in a jacket pocket if you have to). I'm active - runner, weightlifter and was able to do pretty much anything I wanted even though I couldn't pee. You'll have some urgency for the first 6 weeks or so (never bad enough that I had an accident, but came close once or twice) and you'll get a fair amount of bleeding when you pee weeks 3-5.

One warning - although most people don't end up with Retro (dry) ejaculations after Rezum, my sense is that the % that do is closer to 10-15 than the 4% they cite from their trials. I'm not dry, but I ejaculate less than before and usually delayed by 3-10 seconds.

Bottom line is it works for most people, most cani get back to normal life within a week or so, some take longer. Bigger prostates take longer to see benefits apparently.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the information about Rezum and your experience. It is really helpful. I am a bit nervous about the procedure because my insurance will not pay for anesthesia. I hope I can bear it.

I am trying to schedule the procedure sometime soon. It seems to be my best option. (I think)

The Focal Laser Ablation sounds interesting but very few docs are performing the procedure and it is quite costly without insurance.

You have been very kind to share your experience, I thank you

Phil

• Posted

Its quick even if it hurts and it was worth it to me. A tranquilizer and a strong Vicodin will help a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.