Rezum post operation urination frequency

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am two weeks Rezum post operation, March 6th 2019. If anybody on the forum has had the procedure would you answer the following queries I have:

Prior to the operation I was peeing up to 20 times per day, post op to date that has not changed including getting up 3 to 4 times in the night, is this normal post op, if so does it get better?

I have removed all caffeine based drinks and alcohol from my diet and drink only water. When I pee I get a maximum of 100ml voided from the bladder, hence the frequent trips to the bathroom to pee again an hour or so later. Does the voided amount increase over time as the prostate heals after Rezum treatment?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post Rezum. I had the procedure done because of acute urinary retention. I can now pee the old fashioned way so I consider that an improvement. Frequency and control are still issues but optimum results take 3 to 6 months so I hear. I am still on Flomax and have another month to take it. I get up two to three times every night to pee but that's better than a trip to the emergency room to be catheterized. Daytime frequency varies depending on liquid intake. I have voided 150 mm at the most but usually only 100mm. It is too early to evaluate, but so far I consider my condition vastly improved since I had to wear a Foley for three months prior to the procedure. Good luck to us all.

• Posted

Patrick,

it takes time and it gradually improves. I am into 16 months now. Control is back, urgency is gone and the amount from usually 80 to 100 has improved to up to 250. Depending on intake I can sleep 5 to 7 hours without interruption. Everybody is different, but there is hope! Good luck to you!

• Posted

Patrick,

2 weeks is too early. Give yourself 2-3 months, you probably still have some bleeding as prostate did not heal as of yet.

I am 2.5 months post rezum and I get up 1-2 times (depending how much I drank - alcohol as well) but can pee in seconds and go back to bed.

Dropped pills after 4 weeks and got better everyday after the procedure.

• Posted

I'm 3 months post Rezum and off Flomax. Flow is good, but not quite as good as it was with Flowmax.

First 3-4 weeks for me were the worst. At week 5 I was seeing big improvement.

Tim

• Posted

Gents, thank you for all your messages. Perhaps I am looking for 100% improvement too fast. I will post an update after my post op six week consultation with my urologist. Here is to peeing more than 100ml and a long restful 6+ hours sleep in the future.

• Posted

Patrick,

I am a few days short of 4 months post Rezum. 2 weeks is way too early to tell if your Rezum worked. While some men may see an improvement in 2 weeks, for most it will be about 4 to 6 weeks. At 2 weeks, I had my Foley removed. At 4 weeks, I started to pee on my own and bleeding had stopped. At 8 weeks, I was pretty well opened and peeing well too. At 10 weeks, I stop shedding any more dead prostate tissue.

I am still self-cathing 2 times a day (before sleep and when I wake up) as my PVR's are at about 100 ml due to bladder muscle damage. I only get up once a night to pee. The urologist says to pee whenever I have the urge as that will work my bladder muscles that are damaged. The result is frequent peeing and a short, strong flow at home. When not home, I pee after about 4 hours and I have a longer, stronger flow.

I am now off of the Flowmax and yes, my amount of pee has increased over time.

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.