RHUMETALOGY APPOINTMENT

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have my rhums appt on xmas eve and was just wondering what they do in the appointment. Do they scan me take blood etc!! The thing is i was diagnosed by my gp in june sayin i had fibro but i kept goin back with the pain in my knees grinding and cracking also my elbow i told them im not convinced its fibro i have to walk down stairs sideways as if i got forward my knees hurt when bending them and i fear ill fall. My gp said she would send me for an mri scan as id had a few xrays on my knees but all was clear. Then i recive a letter saying she was sending me to a rhums dr instead. What will he do and will i get a dianosis on the day?? 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sandra,

You have been given lots of good advice already, on here. Writing things down beforehand, and asking the right questions is very important. Most likely it will be arthritis, but it could be Fibro as well. You haven't mentioned widespread pain and fatigue, which are common symptoms of Fibro. When I had my rheumy appt he just talked to me about my symptoms, I had already had loads of other tests to eliminate other conditions. It seems that fibro is usually diagnosed by a process of elimination, and sometimes by your painful pressure points. Sorry you are suffering so young, I wish you luck.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Hi sandra

I got rheumatoid arthritis since 09, and walking sideways down and up the stairs was one of my problems.  The first time I went I have to answer a lots of questions which seems a bit much but it's for the consultant to get the whole picture,  I also had to undress for them to see me walking etc and had bloods tests and had to come off my steroids tablets and when I went back was told I had ra.

My consultant also said ive got fibro in may this year cos I thought my ra was getting worse and coming back big time. 

So don't worry hopefully you'll ask the right answers soon x take care 

• Posted

It's good to have a Rhum appointment so you can get a definate 'label'.  I get knee pain especially going up stairs.  I get very stiff to go down steps.  Fibro has the pain points, you need I think 12 out of the 16 I think. At my appointment, they asked me the pain, since when?  They did the pain points checking and arm / leg movements. Remember to wear nice underwear wink x 
  • Posted

Hello, I have my rheumatology appointment this Friday, i will let you know what happens after I've had mine. 
  • Posted

Hi, I had my rheumatology appointment today,  and have an official diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, I was weighed, had my height measured and my blood pressure taken Before I saw the doctor, when seeing the doctor he asked about my symptoms, did a pressure points test and then an ultrasound on one of my knees (separate issue) he advised me that I have fibromyalgia, gave me a booklet, discussed pain management specifically for fibromyalgia and sent me on my way.... Hope all goes well for you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.