Ribs and upper right quadrant pain for five flipping years!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. For the past 5 years or so I've had a pain that comes and goes in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen and rib pain (tingling/dull) on both sides, more often the right but sometimes left and some days (like today) both at once! Also an occasionally sensitive chest. I've been to the Doctors as an ultrasound located a 6mm kidney stone and some liver calcification, but no-one seems worried about those and don't think they're the cause. X Rays didn't turn up much either. There's no particular pattern, occasionally it can be a little worse if stressed or hungry, but no other symptoms.

Things I've tried : chiropractor, immunosuppresants, cyclosporine, omeprazole, anti-histamines, hypnotherapy, you name it. What do you think it could be and what could stop it?

Thanks.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had the exact same Lawrence, 4 years ago the pain started on my right hand side below my ribs, but could also go round my lower back and my gut! They found gallstones so removed my gallbladder, however as soon as I got home the pain returned, every day or night. I have had every test and they can't find anything, they make me feel such a fraud, I get very frustrated, so your not alone
    • Posted

I am very sorry to hear this trisha. I keep hearing about people who've gone to hospitals, had tests and can't locate the source of the pain, but it can't just be nothing, can it? The worst thing is apparently finding the cause only for it to prove a false dawn, isn't it? I don't want my gall bladder being taken out unnecessarily, though I have to wonder if the liver is swollen, just from the position. I'm having kidney/liver functions tested soon. Do they have you on painkillers? My back doesn't seem affected, really, which is slightly unusual.
    • Posted

I have had the liver tests and there is something there, when they took my gallbladder out they damaged one of my bile ducts which gives me the pain at the bottom right part of my back, I also have fibrosis of the liver, yet again they don't know why! But just leave you to it. I've been to a pain clinic and I am on srong co codomal and tramadol if needed, to be honest I've just been left to it. All I can advise Lawrence is keep at it, keep annoying the doctors that's the only way they do anything x good luck
  • Posted

You're reright Laurence, you're definitely not alone.e.    I've had pains in both sides for almost four years now...basically constant.  Had my gall bladder out because it wasn't working but apparently that wasn't the cause of pain.  I've had every test in the book, tried many meds, diets, etc.  best guess is muscle damage.  Learning to live with it.  Hope you have better luck!
    • Posted

Hi Jan - yes it's worrying how many people are struggling to find why it's happened, despite it being so long since it started. You'd think if the muscles were damaged something would show up, or something (like straining physically at something) on some sort of scan! I do wonder about the gall bladder but as I've said I feel sorry for people like yourself who've had it out and still hurt afterwards, I think healthcare should be more accurate than that! As for mine I do wonder if the liver calcification might be to blame as it's probably in kind of the right place, don't think it's the kidney necessarily.
    • Posted

Hey Laurence,  I don't know thing about liver calcification, wish I could be more help.  I will be 74 this month and, aside, from the pain, am pretty healthy.  But I decorate my yard with things that I find while beachcombing here on the Oregon Coast - some of them rather heavy.  And since I continue to do this, I don't think I'll ever heal.  Oh well.....I manage.  I have a TENS unit which works wonders.  Good luck to you!  It was basically the whole round of doctors that drove me crazy so I try to avoid them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.