right side pain, IBS or something else

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering with right flank pain for 6 weeks. Sometimes pain radiates to right and left shoulder, back. Mainly right back

pains feels deep, colic in nature, comes and goes. Goes up after eating high FODMAP foods

GERD has been bad, I have got the GERD symptoms down by eliminating wheat/gluten and following FODMAP diet

can IBS cause right side pain, from gas ?

I am having HIDA scan this week to eliminate gallbladder issues

I have read in other threads about Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, feel so drained by these symptoms, feelings

ultrasound did not show any gallbladder stones

I have done some self education on SIBO as well, makes me wonder if the small intestine is infected ?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

IBS pain can be felt just about anywhere on the stomach and the pain moves about and can be deep.  It can be constant or come and go  However, you would also have bowel habit change as well as the food intolerance and gas. Pain radiating to your shoulder blades is more associated with gallbladder trouble especially if you have rightsided pain.  Wait to see what the HIDA scan shows first. IBS can only be diagnosed when gallbladder problems are ruled out. 
    • Posted

thank you for reply. You are right, gallbladder scan first. 

• Posted

Hopefully you can get answers to these possibilities.
  • Posted

HIDA scan = 12%

cholecystectomy on Monday

right flank pain has got worse, shoulder pain, headache, nausea, pains bores through to right back 

stools are yellow, float (guess lack of fat, bile) 

just want this pain resolved

• Posted

I’m wondering what you found out from testing.   I’m having very similar symptoms.   Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.