Rocketman mobility update

Posted , 12 users are following.

So in three hours it will be exactly a week since I had my THR Revision operation.  Earlier I walked to my surgery to get my appointment booked to get the clips taken out.

I managed the 1 mile there and back in about an hour, so I am taking it slowly, but it felt like such a wonderful achievement.

I'm having 'afternoon lay down and sleep' time now, and last night as soon as the sun went down I started getting restless legs again, so I have to make up that lost sleep time.

Happy Healing everyone

Graham

7 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like your doing great I used to put a frozen bag of peas on my legs lol but it did seem to help the restless legs xx

• Posted

Walking 2 miles, how incredible! As long as that new cup is in the right place, which I assume they have verified by looking at x-ray, then you are well on your way to recovery, Graham! Is it cemented or non-cemented?
    • Posted

Just one mile- half there, half back.

Non cemented, so screwed in and trying to knit to my pelvis now.

• Posted

I misinterpreted! One mile is STILL incredible. I was only taking a few steps inside my house one week after both of my surgeries. You are a force of nature!
    • Posted

Thanks.

I am going to throttle back a bit for the next few days, I do not want to undo the surgeon's good work.

• Posted

Mine isn't cemented either. I always wondered why some are and others aren't.

• Posted

You need healthy bone to have a cementless hip, bone cement allows a surgeon to affix prosthetic joint components to a bone that is slightly porous from osteoporosis. For cementless it can take up to three months for the bone to grow round the prosthesis. Cementless is supposed to be easier if you need a hip revision. There is the advantage for cemented hips you can add anti biotics to the cement, but there is the disadvantage the cement could start to break up.
    • Posted

Yay! That means my bone must be healthy. Of course I hope I never need a revision.
  • Posted

So good to read that you are doing well. You've really been through it!! Very happy for you!

Continued healing!! ?

• Posted

I am so pleased you are doing well it seems, my infection was a rare one where a fungus grows on the hip plate and screws and due to when closing the wound, it was the environment it seems and cleanliness of the small operating theatre, after care was nil.   It is abroad we are talking about and has ebeen going on since January this year. I am virtually ousebound through this,  Get very tird, and been hospital again today, monitoring what they will do next, been on Fuexeramole antibiotics since march and very long time, previous I was on casper fungen iv for 2 monts before in hospital.   I would love go away holliday but rigt now cant go no where, hope it improves I don't really want another operation....I will know my options soon. Takecare.

• Posted

You are doing so well. Good to see that your started a new discussion. I was getting a bit lost in the last one.

I remember the first week when I had to take advantage of those afternoon naps (morning and evening ones, too) because a full night sleep wasn't happening. Took months to get to being able to sleep more than 4-5 hours at a time.

Slow walking is best. Distance doesn't matter as long as you feel ok afterwards.

• Posted

There's no shame in having to take an afternoon nap.

I had my mobile to call the wife if I felt I needed it - it is essential to have a backup plan at all times.

• Posted

Definitely important to have backup plan. The day after I returned home (2 days after surgery), my husband had to go pick up something. My neighbor came by and kept me company. I probably would have been all right but it made sense. Thank goodness for mobile phones so we can reach people.
  • Posted

My gosh I cannot believe how fast the last week has gone, I hope you feel the same. It sounds like you are very much back in the land of the living. I did not have clips but dissolvable stitches I am not sure why the difference.
    • Posted

They did say why they were using clips, I think it was to do with the discovery that I had a problem with my blood that also meant I had a GA instead of a spinal.

The anesthetist was wonderful, we discusses having spinal with no sedation, but after my blood results she explained the raised risks of having a to put a needle into my spinal cavity if my blood didn't clot properly.  I assured her that it was her decision as I knew it was in my best interests.

• Posted

I have always been impressed with the anaesthetist. Someone said it was the most important job in the operating theatre. 

I would like to know why they use clips or dissolvable, do let me know if you ever find out. The surgeon asked me while he was still operating what I wanted I said dissolvable because they sounded easier in that I would not need them removed, I hadn’t a clue in fact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.