Rod in femur needs to be removed with TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my left knee done on August 31st. It was a straight TKR with no complications done for osteoarthritis. now my right knee is a different story. It was crushed in a car accident 15 years ago, and my femur was broken so there's a rod in it. Has anyone had a knee done under these circumstances ?The rod has to come out so they have to undo the screw in my thigh at the top in order to be able to pull it out thru the knee.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi peg,

I had a total hip replacement after previously   broken femur and the same thing hd to be done but from the top end if you understand me. It went well and the surgeon just did a bit of bone grafting to strength the femur where it cracked a bit/

I think the surgeons are so used to dealing withthis sort of thing that they don't realise how worried patients get.

Hugs

• Posted

I've talked to the Dr. about it and he sur doesn't seem very confident abouts doing it. He even asked me if I knew what brand of rod it was so he would know the right screw head it would have...well okay my BF is a surgical assistant so I asked her...she just shook heer head because every hospital should have a full set. I also asked him about the fact that I have no knee cap from the accident. He says "Yes, that will be a problm"....hmmm okay so then why did the internet say it's not a biggy you just don't have one. I'm having second thoughts about this.
  • Posted

OK Here is my story.

I had a pin put in my left knee in 1970 because of frequent dislocation.

This worked loose.

In 1995 I had this removed because I had an infection in the knee.

I had TKR on the same knee 3 years ago.

The consultant was extremely concerned about the risk of infection again and thought he might have to do a tibial tubercle osteotomy to improve the alignment of the patella as well. As things turned out he did not have to do this and just did TKR.

I don't know where you live but I hd this operation done in Hereford by consultant Matthew Oakley.

He was absolutely excellent and I would recommend him to anyone.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.