RUQ pain - possible causes?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have terrible RUQ pain and have for years. Had every test imaginable. I assume its gallbladder pain/disease but cant get a diagnosis. It definitely relates to digestion. I also thought maybe a duodenal ulcer but Ive had 2 endoscopies and they have found nothing, and I also tried a course of acid suppressors and that did nothing. Had bloods (x10), stool tests, CT scans (x2), MRI's, ultrasounds (x2),  HIDA (x2) etc etc.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am just embarking on a journey that sounds similar to yours. I have been having RUQ pain since before Christmas. Ultrasound showed nothing. hyda scan showed my gallbladder working at 41%. Although when I drank the prep stuff had horrible, immediately RUQ pain. The tech had originally told me, and showed me my gallbladder on scan and said it was not contracting. Later called me and said it fell under normal results but still see surgeon.

Had all the other blood work done. Nothing. Had an upper Endoscopy, nothing. I am not sick like some people with gallbladder issues. Although I am nauseous at times. I may have the pain for several days, then none at all. It is weird and driving me crazy.

My husband had his out, had no symptoms like me, just woke up one night and we thought he was having a heart attack and went to ER. His was filled with sludge.

So like you, I am frustrated and really not sure what is next. I go back to surgeon on June 5. Good luck. Maybe we can figure this out. 

• Posted

So sorry to hear your problems getting a diagnosis. I was originally misdiagnosed as having kidney stones so understand how you must be feeling.

I had ultrasound and MRI to confirm gallstones and two ERCPs to try a move them from my bile duct but they didn't work. With ERCP they can take images during the procedure. You don't mention whether you've had this? You can always ask for a second opinion.

• Posted

Hi John,

I reallly feel for you, I too have had two years of hell, can't digest fat, constant pain, bloating, nausea, stinking bowel movements.  I go on Thursday to find out if my gallbladder is malfunctioning which I hope and pray will give an answer. Iam going to push for acolonoscopy if on Thursday I don't get an answer, have you had one to rule out bowel diseases?

best regards

• Posted

every test i took was normal too, my HIDA was 33% which 3 doctors told me was abnormal but not abnormal enough for surgey. My pain and discomfort was always above my ribs but was always in the center, not on the right. I had my gallbladder out 3 months ago and have not felt that upper quadrant pain after eating since. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.