Sad day

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well today is a sad day for me, i returned to my GP as i felt i was on a downward slide and im back on cit 20mg's to start with and a review in a month, i really thought things were looking up but as soon as i stopped taking it i lasted 8 weeks and am back on it :?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I don't think you should view that as being a bad thing.... Depression is an illness and as such if you need to take something to help with getting better then so be it.

Before I started these I was very reluctant to take any sort of medication but now I have it straight in my mind that this is an illness and the way to beat it is Citalopram and learing to cope with things differently so that the illness cannot take over again..

I've now got my head round the fact that these have me 100 times better than I was about a month ago and because of that if I have to take them for the rest of my life I will..

Don't see taking tablets for an illness as a failure, you just need a little help!

• Posted

Thanks im now thinking the same way, i was no where near as bad as i was the first time it was more a \"stopper\" for me getting that way, i have been given propranolol today to help me feel calm during my anxiety attacks which have been crippling me...... i know cit works so am sticking with it.

smile

• Posted

Good to hear, I know how easy it is to say the stuff and I forget it all on a bad day... But I am at the moment the most positive I have been for years and years...

I got given Lorazepam for anxiety and it did a really good job but can only be used very short term (highly addictive)

Keep smiling

• Posted

Had some major stuff that was causing the anxiety, and today i got told that it was going away (cant go into it but feel loads better), still got no appitite or thirst,and i hope the night fevers fade soon (they did last time) but am smiling slightly :? << see
  • Posted

Hello!!!

bin on 20mgs 4 just 2 wks but still stugglin with the fact that i -'the strong one' actually needs help.

The comments ive read all seem positive so i'll stick with it, hope u do 2. :roll:

• Posted

please stick to it, the cit worked for me first time round, i thought that maybe as things were going great guns that i would be able to manage without it, but maybe im one of those people who always have that type of personality. i know it will help, just waiting to it to kick in, it also isnt about being the\"strong one\" all people know matter who can need help at times. keep with it, if you feel 20mg is levvleing you out and not helping anymore go back to docs and say.
  • Posted

Have to agree with the above, I was the most reluctant to get help (hence the name!), and even after seeing a councillor and Psychiatrist I was still unsure/unwilling to accept it...

It took a number of things, but I have now realised there is nothing to be ashamed of, if you get ill you go to a doctor, this is exactly the same you are ill and are going to a Dr for help.

Definatly stick with it, I am on 30mg now (after starting on 20) and feel probably the most at ease with my life that I ever have...

• Posted

well today i went back to my GP, and have decided with him that my dose should double to 40mg, this happened last time and i know that it will help me shift the low mood, then hopefully settle down to 20mg.
  • Posted

Just for clarification people, as my dose has gone up to 40mg is the usual proceedure to reduce it again ?

The mere thought of that has worried me greatly.

Desperate to get back to work but am no where near reducing my dose :?

Take care & looking forward to hearing from you all. smile

• Posted

Hi i,ve just recently stumbled across this site it,s great to know there,s so many other people in the same boat!!!! I have been on citalopram since Monday and feel quite scared that i,ve had to go down this road.always felt such a strong woman raising my 3 children on my own and working full time,but reached a real low a few months ago which i couldnt fathom out.my doctor put me on 30mg and am awaiting to see a councillor..find it difficult to stay asleep and today have woken up with achey legs.i feel quite light headed and wobbly too...

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

good luck

• Posted

Hi Sally,

I've been on 20mg for just over a week and apart from being very thirsty and waking at silly times of the night (which I was doing without the tablets!) I haven't really had too many side effects but I do feel that the view I have now is slightly distorted and I feel a little spaced out.

I too always thought I was a \"strong\" woman but in the end the debt worries my partner and I have finally took there toll and I ended up in tears at the GP's. Hopefully we can sort out an IVA to help the problem and I'm hoping that once that is sorted out things should improve, but deep down I think there is something from my childhood that I have to face, but I don't really know what it is and how to face it. Could it be that losing my father when I was 13 and not getting any couselling at the time be the issue - how would I face that now 35 years later?

Suggestions welcome by all those reading this and apologies for rambling but it does help to write it down.

Thanks

Jane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.