Saing thankyou.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just wondering whether any of you have left thank you gifts for your medical team.  So far I have not done so, but will be going past the nurse station on Wednesday on my way to my last physio session and was wondering about leaving a big tub of chocolates for the nurses, chocolates for my physio, and a bottle of nice bubbly for my surgeon.  Bit difficult with the surgeon because I will continue to see him on his lecturing days, but, that will be a different chapter, and I feel I should say thankyou for his brilliant work and close the patient chapter.  Any views?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Good point. A thankyou is often forgotten, but nice to receive.
  • Posted

Hi liz, yes I left a thank you card and tub of chocs for nurses and physios.  I didn't leave the surgeon anything though.  Must say the nurses were quite surprised to get anything.  They work so hard though.
  • Posted

I did think of this also, especially for the surgeon, who I feel went above and beyond his duty . . .and there were a couple of nurses who were really nice. . but unfortunately I have to say my experience in hospital was generally pretty negative . . in nine days I only m anaged to get ice three times, suffered cistitis for three days before they finally got a urologist to see me. . .most of the time, I was defintely under the impression that I was a damned nuisance to them so I'm afraid I won't bother!  I think if you felt you had good care, it would be a lovely gesture which I'm sure they would appreciate!.  
    • Posted

I didn't get offered ice at all while in hospital.   They were very nice though.   I only saw the surgeon fir five minutes a couple of days after I was in.  The junior doctor was around all the time.
    • Posted

My surgeon was very good . .he even came in on the Sunday after I had the operation, because he was worried on the first day when I couldn't move my ankle at all . .and he lives 70 miles from the hospital, and wasn't on call that day . . so definitely above and beyond!!!!  I'm surprised you didn't ever get any ice!  they always say it's excellent for reducing the swelling . .but maybe they have a different idea in that hsopital. there are so many opinions about what you should, or should not, do!  I don't ice a lot now. . although I think you are supposed to . . . ..  
    • Posted

Strangly, ice was not on the agenda when I had my last TKR four years ago. It never crossed my mind or anybody else's. I couldn't bear anything at all to touch my leg for weeks. I suppose we are a bit backward in the bogs of Essx. Perhaps I 'll try it next time on your recommendation?
    • Posted

Every leg is different!  If you feel you don;t want anything to touch it I wouldn't go for it!  I just found that the pain was a sort of burning, which the ice  definitely helped for a while.  On the other hand, in my thigh where I get a lot of nerve pain, I certainly wouldn't want ice anywhere near it . . .I imagine Essex is pretty much as advanced as anywhere else . .and probably a lot more than here in Tenerife!
    • Posted

Yes, you are right, nearly every Essex home has a fridge these days  biggrin But because of our northeast winds we are more inclined to reach for a hot water bottle than an ice pack. Better still, morphia or just YELL! 

• Posted

Surrey is the same Daphne, think the UK must be short of ice, even though there has been enough of it scraped off the cars just lately😜
  • Posted

Iam a midwife and know what it can be like to face presents of big tubs of sweets tempting me all the time....especially when we don't get time for a break! When I had my op I bought a selection of different good quality teas and coffee and some luxury biscuits and healthy snacks.
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

I did not for the nurses or surgeon, I guess because it was a short time in hospital and saw my surgeon briefly, once at the hospital and again for my first month check up, but it is a very nice thought.

I did however give a gift card (pre paid Visa) to my physical therapist who I had a "semi long term relationship" with smile

I don't think they are allowed to accept gifts of that sort, (I gave it to her on the "QT") but I wanted to do something special for her as she was such a sweet person and helped me so much.

Susan is right in that nurses do work so hard, and I wish now I had taken them something, but at the time it was the last thing on my mind as I was nauseous for the entire time in hospital from the anethesia!!

Betty

• Posted

The shop in our hospital advised me to get a selection of small bags of sweets like malteesers M&Ms , jelly babies etc as they can share them especially through the night shift. On line Amazon there is quite a fun mini gift bag to say thank you for nurses. But really a card to know they are appreciated is good. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.