Saw surgeon Wednesday

Posted , 8 users are following.

Surgery is scheduled for March 10 or sooner if he

Gets a cancellation.

He told me my prolapse is a 3 going into a 4.

He spoke about 4 different procedures he is going to do .

Only overnight in hospital and 10 days with catheter

3 months to heal at least, and a lot of pain.

Can anyone tell me how they got through it so I can prepare?

Thanks again

Margie

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What kind of prolapses do you have? Uterus, bladder, Colin? And what kind of orcedures?
  • Posted

What kind of prolapse(s) do you have? Ice packs were nice for the bum area. Also no lifting or straining. Stool softener is a must. Good luck and keep us posted!! 👍🏼

• Posted

I had grade 3-4 uterine prolapse, it was horrible so i opted for hysterectomy but kept ovaries. I was already post-menapausal, I have just turned 50.

I prepared by doing those things at home like cleaning, making meals to freeze, etc. I didnt want to rely on my 19 year old son ( difficult age ). I was so nervous before surgery but I love going under so that was OK. Waking in recovery was so frightening for me, I was in so much pain and couldnt breathe properly, A few doctors where very quickly around my bed although I was in such a panic who knows who they where, I heard one say that I hadnt been woken properly, thats why I couldnt breathe on my own properly. But that was fixed quickly. I hope I am not scaring you, that really doesnt happen much and has never happened to me before. Back on the ward the pain was kept under control well. Only has slight bleeding. I stayed 3 days, and still hadnt used by bowel so they where hesitant to send me home, but I did anyway. The biggest issues over the next few days and weeks was bloating and i think most of the pain came from that.I also had this constant ache in my lower tummy into my groin. Pain meds and rest helped. It was hard moving around though but I expected that I guess. Again just rest. I recovered well I think, just the bowel and the bloating was the worst. I tried Movicol but i think that made me worse. If I was to go through this again I would rather take something to reduce gas. Anywas all that was 4 and half months ago. I feel good, no bleeding, no pain, still wont lift anything heavy but ws told that was always to be avoided from now on.or I risk a prolapse of bladder etc. I defintley want to avoid that. Bloating is gone and I am back on track losing the small amount of weight I gained the last few months.Doing pretty much everything I did before except lifting and moving heavy things. So all in all I would prepare at home so you dont do much when you are out of hospital. You will not feel like it and it will increase pain if you move around too much. Get plenty of rest through the day, so set up a place you can do that with everything you need around you, so your not getting up and down all the time. Which you have to be careful how you do that, avoiding any strain. And make sure you have something to reduce the bloating, it was the worst. As for the catheter I only had it while in hospital so wasnt a problem for me at home. If you are weeing normally then there is no real need for it anyway.I wish you well, It will all be better in the long run. Much better than having a uterus hanging in your vagina.....hahaha

• Posted

Hi and thank you .

I wish I remember everything the doctor said . He spoke about so many procedure .

He said prolapse Badder sling, with mesh and other procedures.

He did say 7 days with a catheter.

Only 1 night in hospital, and

Lots of pain.

Thanks for your reply.

I have to wait until March 10.

Margie

• Posted

Jillian. Did you have a vaginal hysterectomy? And did you have a bladder prolapse or bowel prolapse at all. Usually at stage 3 4 you have a little vagina wall prolapse or the other two prolapsed I mentioned. Also did you get a vagina vault suspension which is where they stitch up the wall of you vagina?
    • Posted

Hi

If I could remember they are doing

The sling, something to the bladder and vagina vault suspension.

Thanks

Margie

• Posted

Yes I had a vaginal hysterectomy. also needed a vault suspension. My bladder and bowel werent a problem as such. The uterus however was causing problems with urgency etc and the rest needed to be lifted/suspension due to the weakness. He said there is still a chance the bladder and bowel can prolapse even now. This is why I try to be careful with what I lift and how I move around etc. But I feel good and have no regrets at this stage. 
  • Posted

Hi Margie, I have had anterior and posterior repair in different times and it is true that it is painful the first two days, but to tell you the truth, for me it was not too painful, it was well managed by my doc with painkillers. It was much more painful my kid delivery!!

After the first week, I only felt some soreness and stings (from the stitches). If you have a 3 grade prolapse, I would not doubt to have the op. I think the op could give you a much better quality of life. You will ask yourself why I waited to have the op? Dont think too much in the pain, cos the pain will pass and can be managable with pain killers. Sex will be much better too. 

Hope it helps!!!

• Posted

nine weeks since I had my op for rectocele and enterocele. The first two or three weeks i did not venture out of bed much just visits to the bathroom and i never went downstairs. I found it hard to sit upright on a chair until this last couple of weeks put took codeine to keep pain off. Have loads of easy meals made up in freezer and try not to worry about the housework because you will not be able to do it at all! No lifting or standing for long periods. Good Luck-it will pass

• Posted

14 months post op- I am having problems with nerve damage. The prolapse are fixed and repair work was done posterior and anterior. P and A repairs have caused me the most grief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.