Say YES to coming off Cits :)

Posted , 8 users are following.

it has been a while since i posted here. In februari i started to cut my pills from 20mg, which i had been taken for about 9 years, into aprox. 15mg and now, June, I am pretty much on 10mg....and ...I....Feel...Great :D

Yes, I have been through all kinds of withdrawals such as brain zaps, very tired to extemely hyper, headaches, and I cried REAL tears for the first time since a long long time. I do not have that boxed in feeling a ymore which I had when on Cits. 

For anyone who tried to come off this, it is a bit of a struggle, but it is well worth it. Never give up. You all are worth it to feel better and have a real smile and real tears

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thanks maria

this is positive

I am in a similar position 

reduced from 40 to 20 over the last 6 weweeks 

I aim to be fully off by auaug thanks for your story

• Posted

You cried? and that is your support for your theory that you should stop your medication? Er..I think not. Most of us, I think, feel better because we are on it. We don't want to cry. Thanks anyway.
    • Posted

Im sorry if it does not work for you but honestly ...there is nothing wrong with crying. Of course you feel better when u r on it, in general. It blocks your emotion and u can handle pretty much anything. That sounds very happy lol...I think not wink I believe that anyone can feel a time when they feel enough is enough,...no more pills for me,...it only means that perhaps your life has improved and you are ready. If you are not,..well then u r not, must that simple.
  • Posted

Read * just that simple. 
    • Posted

Yes I'm sorry if I sounded a little sharp but honestly I still cry I am not foul tempered I still have emotions, God I'm a Pisces I am full of those! What is good for you is between you and your advisor but I don't feel you should advocate that some of these tortured souls should start thinking about coming off Citalopram before they've even overcome the intial side effects of starting it. IMHO of course.xx
  • Posted

Good to hear  a success story. I look forward to the day when I decide to start coming off citalopram! smile 

Thanks for sharing! 

• Posted

I am desperate to come off Cetalopram as I have been taking it for 15 years. I have has a number of goes reducing from 20mg to 10mg but start to feel very anxious about everything. How long did it take you to work through the process of coming off and what side effects did you experienc. I would find it helpful from someone who has done it. I want to experience being happy again.
  • Posted

I read your post and decided to raise it with my Doctor yesterday (I was seeing her anyway) so we have decided I am going to try to reduce the dose to 15mg, lets hope!

thanks for commenting on your experience.

• Posted

Hello , I have just found this web site , as i googled to see how to come of Cetalopram , I have been taking it for ove 10 years , & it is great to hear other peoples take on it , Up till your post Maria , I see people had only been on them up to 6 years or so so thought it was maybe too late to try to stop ....but after reading this i am inspired to try too, I am on 20 mls .
    • Posted

Hi Mark

Ive taken for 15 years and they were my saviour.  I came off them over a year ago and reduced from 20mg to 10mg for a month, then 10mg to 5mg for another month, then took 5mg every other day and finally spaced the 5mg out even further until I stopped completely.

You can do this over a few weeks with each dose, but gauge how you feel.  The slower the better.

I still got some withdrawl effects, but they were ok and nothing too dreadful.  You could reduce the meds and then wait for the symptoms to ease off before reducing them further.

I did restart them last August due to the stress of family illness, and I could feel myself slipping back, so I restarted them before I fell into a deep hole.  Am now at the stage of reducing them again.

K x

• Posted

Good morning , thanks very much for your info , thats spot on what i needed to know , I will chat to the Doc next week re dropping from 20 to maybe 15 for a few months , Im in no hurry & i want to get it right , I have come off before and 6 months later found myself in a rather horrible state so .... i work on ... Good thinks take time ... Think of the cheese makers :-) ( its an old ad we had down here :-)
    • Posted

Oh absolutely, good things do indeed take time :-)

Hope it all goes well.

K x

• Posted

Hello Maria, please can you advise? I was on 40mg of Citalopram about 3 years ago and tappered off them. I now have memory problems, vertigo and blurred vision - I've been like this for 3 years and I'm exhausted! Do you think this is some kind of long term effect caused by Cit?

Thanks Debs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.