Scar tissue after ankle break

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been massaging my ankle about an hour a day, broken up into 3x per day to help relieve pain in the top of my foot, but also to break down scar tissue. Has anyone thought much about scar tissue build up? This you tube video below I found, that shows a massage technique for helping to break it up.....basically, it seems to me to rub it all over can't hurt. What do you all think?

Search " you tube Scar tissue mobilization of fractured ankle " to find it.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you noticed a difference?  I've been massaging my ankle from the moment I was able to get to it....cast removed, very gently at first.  I totally feel like it helps a lot.  Whenever you direct attention to a part of your body physically or even consciously (biofeedback shows) there is an increase in energy....blood and consciousness which equates to more nurishment and healing.  I would imagine it encourages the muscles to relax after being traumitized as well.  
    • Posted

i totally agree with you Patricia! The massage definitely brings blood and oxygen into the area and that helps healing speed up a lot! 
  • Posted

Hi, I have been massaging my ankles and calves starting at the toes and working my way to the knees.

I only do up and side to side, this helps with blood circulation and reduces swelling. Try for a few days and notice the difference, after all it can't hurt.

• Posted

I have been doing it since my cast came off two weeks ago and my ankle gets better every day, but it is slow.
  • Posted

My gosh, it looks painful.  Nonetheless, I think it will be very worthwhile to strart.
    • Posted

That's what I thought, but I tried it and it wasn't as bad as it looks! One step at time...
  • Posted

I am recovering from a severely sprained foot and ankle and have been massaging my foot using some cream containing arnica, comfrey and calendula. Coincidence or not my ankle and foot are a lot less painful and do not seem to swell up so much as before I started massaging with the cream. I think it can only do good so keep at it.
    • Posted

I totally agree with you! The salves with any or all those ingredients work great!
  • Posted

I'm not sure about scar tissue, but I do know massaging my foot and ankle has been a huge help in reducing the swelling I am getting.  My physical therapist started doing it and urged me to do it daily as well.  It is also helping to alleviate the soreness in my toes and the top of my foot.  

I just oust ordered some cream with Comfrey in it but haven't tried it yet.  I'll let you know how that goes.  

• Posted

Any after you finish with the massage, if you can get some fresh aloe vera (refrigerate it) and put it all over the injury, it feels sooo good too! Then wrap it loosely with an ace bandage. 
  • Posted

You will be surprised how quickly the op. scars will fade.  I still massage mine after break at end of December.  My old scars, on the other ankle are barely visible, just tiny feint white lines.  The massage is good for circulation too, which is why I do it but have cut it down to just once a day now, usually in the morning to help with mobility before I start moving around.  You will also be surprised how few people will notice your ankles these days!
    • Posted

I'm also not worried about the scar at this point, I found the refrigerated aloe vera just feels really soothing on my swollen ankle, that's why I am using it. It's just nice to have things heal up as well as possible. I also do the massage for circulation and to speed up healing, as you do.
  • Posted

I love the refridgerated aloe vera idea.  I've been using but not cold.  My joy tonight before bed.  Thanks
    • Posted

Are you using from the actual leaf of the plant, or a bottle of aloe vera? I'm not sure it matters, but if you are using the leaf, I cut the leaf off the plant in the morning and refrigerate the whole leaf. One big leaf works for two applications...one in the morning and one at night. I used the ace bandage so it doesn't get the boot dirty as I walk around for the day. It feels amazing! I hope you will love it as much as I do. Please let me know what you think!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.