Scared ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have over the last 9 months had 3 miscarriages and 40 years old. I started investigations and blood test came back normal. I then had a vaginal ultrasound which has resulted in a cyst showing on my right ovary. The doctor has asked me to go in to discuss which I am doing on Monday. The receptionist said the results said my ovaries look normal but I cannot help but think the worst that the cyst is cancerous as I suffer alot of bloating but no other symptoms. Any advise to get me through the next few days sad Thanks xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes! First of all, the miscarriages are most likely not related to the cyst. I have had 2 miscarriages and 2 ovarian cysts, all at different times, and unfortunately both are 'just one of those things.' If your blood test was normal and you just have bloating, and no severe pain or swelling, then it is likely that your cyst will be benign, and easily removable. My daughter has just had surgery for one - at was 16 cm by 10 cm (about as big as a football!) and she's now back at school two weeks after the op, feeling tired but otherwise fine.

It's natural to imagine the worst - I did, both for my daughter and myself - but be assured that the vast majority of ovarian cysts are benign and treatable. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Mel42.... I am also currently suffering from a dermoid cyst... No pain didnt even know I had it until I had a scan of my kidneys. I was then tld i had a dermoid cyst. In your previous post in another discussion you mentioned that you live in SW London and that you had a  brilliant surgeon. Would there be any chance of you giving me his name as I am scared that I will lose my ovary because of the dermoid cyst and you mentioned you and your daughters ovaries were saved. I would really appreciate it if you could give me his name. Thanks in advance.
  • Posted

I had an ovarian cyst years ago and it wasn't cancerous. It was apparently the size of a billiard ball. Had it removed no trouble since. I can't understand how you can have a cyst on your right ovary and yet the results of the ultrasound showed that your ovaries were normal. Have you been told how big the cyst is? I had to wait for over a year to see if it got any bigger from first diagnosis before I actually had the operation to have my cyst and ovary removed. I didn't have any bloating, only a niggling pain in my side which got worse but wasn't very painful. The only bloating I've had was several months ago, in fact, I went to the doctor about it because I was worried about it being ovarian cancer and was sent for an ultrasound but it came back normal. I thought that perhaps the bloating might have been to do with diet so I cut out milk on my cereals and only have a very small amount in my tea and the bloating disappeared, virtually overnight!

Regarding the miscarriages, sad as it is, perhaps its your body telling you that you can't carry a baby at the age of 40.

• Posted

Please do not say things like '...it's your body telling you that you can't carry a baby at the age of 40!' I had my first baby, my lovely son, when I was 41. I then had 2 miscarriages, at 42 and 43 - but then went on to have my wonderful daughter at the age of 47. Son is now nearly 22, daughter 16. Both pregnancies were trouble-free, both births were under four hours, both natural, and both babies were angels. Do not give up, Rachael!

Also - it's perfectly possible to have an ovarian cyst and a normal ovary! The cyst usually grows on a kind of a stalk, and floats off the ovary, which itself can be untouched. My daughter's cyst was huge, yet both ovaries and fallopian tubes were fine.

• Posted

Hi mel, I have seen a post on another discussion regarding a dermoid cyst you had. I also live in sw London and am looking to find a surgeon who can remove my dermoid cyst without affecting my ovary. Could you pls pls pls give me the name so I can book a consultation with him ASAP. Thank you in advance x
  • Posted

Thank you all for replying. I went for ultrasound last week which was investigating miscarriages as doc said no reason why I shouldn't carry going off 3 normal pregnancies. My bloods norm but I'm not sure what he checked on other than blood count thyroid and glucose so was a little relieved when they came back norm. My results came back which I have not discussed with doc yet . I pressed the receptionist who read off a load of medical nonsense but stated that the conclusion was norm ovaries but a cyst. I expect the doc will go into more on Monday but needless to say since my first miscarriage I've been terribly bloated and gained weight. I think it's natural to feel and think the worse sad
  • Posted

Hi Rachael

I really feel for you and sorry I cannot offer much advice.

I was diagnosed last week with a 10cm ovarian cyst and it was explained to me this was a dermoid cyst - which although gross when I did the research - are benign in 98% of cases. This showed up on a CT scan. This was then followed up with an ultrasound - both regular and internal. The cyst could not be found as my bowel was in the way. Now this cyst - at the size of a grapefruit - you would think would show clearly on an ultrasound but I was told this was not unusual due to the nature of the equipment. I'm waiting to discuss removal due to the size but I do feel sure that cancers show abnormal blood readings so take your normal results as a positive. Try not to worry too much and good luck with your next appointment.

• Posted

Hi dawn. Im sorry your going through all this I know its unpleasant. Regarding blood tests my concerns are that if they wouldnt look for cancers would it come up but I take your words as comfort. My prayers go to you and hope you recover soon. I cant help but feel iv caused this myself trying for more children. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.