Scared!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I was just sitting talking to my dad and I felt a thud in middle of my chest it gave me a fright and I went out the room to bathroom my heart was racing a bit and I could see the pulse on both sides of my neck in the mirror my chest also felt a bit tight in the middle. Anyone every experienced this

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Seems like anxiety. Is it the first time it happend?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It sounds like you had a heart palpitation. This is a very, very common thing with anxiety. Your heart was racing because after it happened you had no idea what it was - and heart palpitations can be scary. I get them every once in awhile and they knock the breath out of me. They aren't harmful, but if you start getting them very often I would speak with your GP just in case. Are you on any medication? Some anxiety medications can cause these too.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for replying yeah it was scary is it normal for the pulse in neck to be really strong and visible aswell if a bit panicked? I'm not on any megs I'm just new to anxiety really so trying to deal with it myself for now
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes. If you think about most places - doctors or even in movies and whatnot, they check your neck for your pulse more often than your wrist. That's because your carotid artery is in your neck which is the main artery in your body and of course if your heart is racing, you may see it racing as well. Put your 3 fingers under either side of your chin/neck like right at the front base of your jawline. You're going to be able to feel your heart beat. So if your heart is racing, that part of your neck is going to be 'beat' even faster. And if you're new to anxiety, you're going to probably be learning your body for awhile. I would recommend doing some research or speaking with someone. I have had anxiety for almost 8 years now so I know my body pretty well - doesn't make it any less scary but I can normally discern anxiety from non-anxiety - and it's almost always anxiety!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah it's definetly all new to me and very scary I feel like I get new symptoms everyday. The worst is I can be sitting quite relaxed and all of a sudden I feel spaced out its so strange. I can't get the feeling out my head that there is something wrong with me. I have had blood tests and a few ecgs but all showed okay
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My anxiety started in December even though I have had depression for 16 years, but the fact that there are so many symptoms you get rid of one thing and another one appears and the fact that sometimes I can be sitting relaxed laughing at something on tv and an attack comes on!!!! There is no rhyme or reason to it
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's really hard isn't it this all started for me about 6 weeks ago I was having really bad palpitations caused by anemia and it led to my first ever panic attack. Since then I've had a few ecgs blood tests all okay but everyday I worry about my health that something is wrong with me especially my heart. I don't really get racing heart that much it's more spaced out feeling sweaty hands and I constantly check my pulse to see if it's normal
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes It is scary I have had test done and mine are all ok,but it does not stop me worrying, Im just hoping a change in meds and some CBT will help.

My problem started at work, I thought If I resigned take the problem out the picture Id be cured but unfortunatley anxiety does not work like that

Take carebiggrin

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up