Scared

Posted , 4 users are following.

It has a lot to do with health anxiety after blood work showed anemia but I’m scared I have HIV. I haven’t had sex in 5 years and the risky sex was 10-15 years ago but the anemia has thrown me for a loop and I’m scared the HIV caused the anemia. My white count was really high and my platelets were elevated. I’ve read it would be opposite in HIV. I don’t have sores or bruising but I do and have had diarrhea and loose stools for years. I’ve always assumed irritable bowel. I’ve given blood recently ( 3 weeks ago) and 3 months before that and haven’t received anything from One Blood so I should be more reassured but I’m not. I know I should just get a test and find out and knock out the worry but does it should like it could be HIV. I’m really scared.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Also I’d been dieting and losing weight and appetite was fine but since the anemia report, losing or barely maintaining weight , and no real appetite and full sooner than usual. I’m a overweight woman so eating was never a problem 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If you contracted HIV 5 years ago you would be one of the lucky few to be a healthy HIV carrier with a natural immunity , because AIDS would kill you in the first 2 years probably.

So look into other conditions for your testing

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Wendy,

No reason to be scared and I would not jump to conclusions on this. Anemia can be caused by many things, including iron and vitamin deficiencies (folate and B-12) in the body. This is where I would start. Is it possible that your gastrointestinal issues are causing a vitamin deficiency? Seems logical to me.

An elevated white blood cell count isn't a specific disease, but it can indicate another problem, such as infection, stress, inflammation, trauma, allergy, or certain diseases.

This really does not sound like a HIV case and typically you would have been so sick a number of years ago that you would know by now (as pattino somewhat pointed out).

If you are seriously concerned about it, take a 4th gen antigen / antibody test from blood drawn from a vein. It is the newest and statistically the most accurate test.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up