Scared About ABrain Tumor or Other Type of Cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm an 18 year old male and a first semester college student. I had a tendency to stay up late on the computer and also on video games. Also, I had to register for classes for next semester and it was very stressful. That was the same week my problem started happening.

About two weeks ago I started having a problem where I blink a lot and hard. It's almost like a upper eye lid twitch but with full blinks. It happens all day and only get relief from it when I sleep. Sometimes if I whistle or hum it isn't as bad but I can't do that all day because I have classes. It's very annoying and gets in the way of seeing but it doesn't hurt.

I'm scared that it could be a brain tumor or other type of cancer like leukemia or lymphoma that has spread to my brain. A few days ago I started feeling this pressure at the top of my head right where the middle of the skull is. It doesn't hurt.

My grandma said that the pressure is because of sinuses or anxiety or the way my hair is laying. I have severe health anxiety and I look up symptoms all the time. I just cant help but think it's a tumor or some type of cancer that has spread throughout my body.

I've been to three doctors and one of them said that I just need rest and the other two who are eye doctors said I just have really bad dry eyes and said I need glasses. He gave me antibiotic drop with steroids to use for a week. They all have dismissed the idea of me having a tumor or other cancer.

However, I can't help but worry that it is one those things. The worry has taken over my life. I don't eat or drink much or do the things I love to do because I'm so worried. I just lay in bed all day looking up symptoms trying to talk myself out of being scared but it's not working. I've been having trouble getting good nights of sleep because as well. My biggest fear is getting a disease that I can't recover from. I also wouldn't want to pit that burden on my family because I know we couldn't afford it. I can also tell my family is grtting annoyed by my constant questioning and worrying.

I just need some advice. Can all of this really be because of eye strain and sinus pressure and dry eyes even it they don't hurt?Is anxiety a big part of it? If it was cancer wouldn't it be worse because nothing hurts? Should I trust my doctors? If none of them have even suspected cancer then should I not worry? I'm only on the third day of my medicine and it's to be taken for a week if not longer.

Do you guys have any ideas about this? Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think your next step would be to get treatment for your anxiety issues as they are causing you real symptoms and until you resolve the severe anxiety and trust issues with your doctors, treatment for sinus or other symptoms is not going to solve the problem.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I've had trouble sleeping which I originally thought was another sign of cancer, but after talking with my doctor yesterday I'm starting to believe that that's because if the stress too. They're going to give me some anxiety medication and hopefully that will solve my problems.

• Posted

I hope it works for you. Sleep issues are definitely something that can be caused by stress and anxiety and not getting sufficient or good quality sleep can in turn cause significant health problems. Stress can be a killer - an awful lot of ill health can be eased or avoided if we could remove much of the stress in our lives. Persevere with the anxiety meds, they can take a while to start working effectively - it's a question of being patient and letting them settle into your system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.