Scared about catching coronavirus - could this guy have given it to me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just turned 42 a couple months back. Normally I don't have much anxiety, but it really tends to show up when I'm premenstrual (which unfortunately is right now). I live in NY about 30 miles from New York City. There are so many cases of it here. I started getting scared about coronavirus way back when it first was reported in the US. Now it's even worse. Whenever anyone in my house decides to go grocery shopping I cringe and double check with them to stay as far away from other people as possible. I myself hadn't left the house since over a month ago when I had a doctor's appt for an upper respiratory infection. The only other times I've left the house were to walk my dogs. My neighborhood is pretty quiet but on nice sunny days like today, people were outside. I make sure I stay very far away from them, and I did so again today.

However at one point I stepped off the curb to avoid people who were in their garage at a nearby house. As soon as I did so this guy rode past me on his bike. I'm pretty sure he was less than 6 feet away (maybe 4-5?). It happened so fast I barely had time to react and I couldn't go back up on the curb because a car was blocking it. I was wearing a mask (I don't have one of those N95 ones, but I was wearing a Buff which I'd worn to cover my nose and mouth like a mask) but I don't know how effective it would be. I'm very worried that this guy could have been infected with coronavirus and could have passed it to me. He didn't show any symptoms - no coughing, sneezing, clearing throat, spitting etc, even had his mouth closed - but they now say that people who are asymptomatic can spread it.

So now I feel like I'll have heightened anxiety for the next 2 weeks at least, worrying that I've caught it and just waiting to show symptoms. I got really upset when they mentioned people with underlying health conditions getting it worse. I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 12 and I still see a pulmonologist, but I talked to him and he assured me my asthma was now so minimal, he'd put me in the same category with regular, healthy people. I do trust him because I've gone to him for more than 20 years, but I'm still really scared about catching this and I hope I won't have to put myself through hell for the next 2 weeks wondering whether or not this random guy on his bike could have given it to me.

Any advice, please? I've talked to a few people and they tell me I should be fine, they doubt I would catch anything from that quick moment but I don't know what to think.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

hi Jessica. I agree with the other people who told you that you should be fine. it would be very rare that a guy going by on his bike would give you the virus., Especially since He wasn’t coughing or sneezing. And his mouth was closed. Also,you were wearing a mask. 99.9% of people get the virus through somebody coughing or sneezing nearby. It would be different if he stopped riding and you were that close without a mask and you started talking to him for a few minutes. Plus he would actually have to have the virus in order to give it to use so all in all, the are odds are way way in your favor that you are OK.

just keep doing what you’ve been doing such as staying home and remember handwashing is the number one way to keep safe along with social distancing. as far as the asthma goes, staying home is your best option. also don’t allow visitors from the outside even if they don’t seem like they are ill

try to relax and don’t allow those negative thoughts. Keep busy doing things at home to keep your mind occupied.

Everything is going to be OK! ❤

• Posted

Hi Jan. Thanks for the advice, I do feel a lot better about it. I found a video by a doctor in NYC who said pretty much the same thing, that you have to have direct contact with someone for at least a few minutes. It's calmed my fears a lot. I walked my dogs again this afternoon and at one point found landscapers in the street and then on both sides of the street at least 50-60 feet ahead. I hesitated and then made sure they'd moved out of the street before proceeding. I just walked quickly in a straight line... then after I passed them I realized they were wearing masks as well! I felt a bit silly for worrying.

Other than that I'm not budging from my house. I originally had an appt for a yearly physical with my PCP on the 17th. They called last week to tell me they had to reschedule as the doctor wasn't going to be in that week. They wanted to do it the following week. I'm definitely not comfortable with the idea. I'd have to get blood work done a week before, and these next two weeks are supposed to be tough ones here in NY as far as the virus goes. I told the receptionist my concerns and she understood, but insisted they're not allowing "sick people" into the office and they're checking everyone's temperatures. Even if they have no symptoms, that doesn't mean they're not carrying it. I didn't get to tell her that and just said I'd talk to them next week (meaning this week). I don't know if they just didn't hear about the asymptomatic people on the news or what. I'm hoping they'll understand if I want to push the physical back even further.

But yes, I'm definitely staying at home, not allowing any visitors, and washing my hands as frequently as possible (and getting chapped skin in the process! lol). I'm kind of obsessive about not touching my face and was even before this whole thing happened, so I'm glad it kind of validates that aspect of my behavior. I've got some projects that I need to finish, so that should keep me busy and my mind off this.

Thanks again for the advice and kind words, I really appreciate it! 😃

• Posted

I am suffering from a lot of health anxiety myself at the moment, feeling short on breath, sleepless nights, waking up frequently breathing fast etc....

But it sounds like you really need to relax. The guy went past you on a bike and was close to you for maybe a split second. The chances of him passing the virus onto you is virtually nil.

Imagine he would have to breath out, cough, or sneeze at that exact moment. Furthermore, that microscopic respiratory droplet has to somehow travel through the air, and end up on your face or more precisely in your mouth, nose or eyes. What are the chances of that?

Lastly if you "wait" for the symptoms to show, you can be assured they will show. You won't have a fever, but you will probably start obsessing with your breath.

• Posted

mkqq, you're absolutely right. I guess I was being silly and worrying needlessly over this. I'm sorry for wasting pixels on this forum on something so stupid. 😦

• Edited

i am about to turn 50, live in CT and dont want to catch it and die either. we are all worried about it, especially anxiety sufferers. you just have to remember to be as safe as you can and you dont have any control over it. most people that die from it have underlying conditions and the elderly. At your age i dont think you have much to worry about even with the astima. hang in there.

• Posted

Thanks, david, I feel better about this now. You're right... this is something we don't have any control over. The only thing over which we do have control is how we react to it and as long as we take proper precautions we should be okay. I think the media doesn't help as they tend to stoke fear over this. I just have to tune them out and focus on things I enjoy.

• Edited

you have to turn off the news or you will go insane, especially if you are in a lockdown stuck in your house. i am having difficulties myself.

• Edited

Yes, exactly. It's a bit hard sometimes when other family members insist on having it on, but I just go busy myself in other areas of the house. On the up side, I've had a project I've been meaning to get done for ages but never had the time. I've finally started it and it's taking up a lot of me time, so at least I've got that as a good distraction from the news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.