Scared as had no sleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last night I must of had 3 hrs sleep if that!! I was thinking that I was going to have a heart attack in my sleep and not wake up! Now I can still feel my heart racing and I feel really panicky and anxious! Any advice anyone

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ok so what your describing I cant relate to and they are all anxierty  symptoms.

Ive had depression for 16 years the anxiety only started 4 months ago ,I ended up at emergency twice thinking I was having heart attcks and strokes, I would not believe people when they told me it was anxiety it wasnt until I came on to forums like this I began to understand and realise the many many symptoms of anxiety.

Meds and therapy are options keeping busy for example if your lying in bed affraid your going to die start thinking of things Can I remember the names of everyone in my class in year 6 something like that and that will take your mind of

the subject in hand.

It sucks but we have to try and train our brain to deal with anxiety ir it will take over our lives.

Stay Strong

• Posted

Thanks I'll try that!! Just hate when people say it's in my head but I can feel the symptoms 😞
  • Posted

Anxiety is such a difficult thing to deal with, especially when you are experiencing the physical symptoms of it. I can relate to what you're going through. There have been many nights when I've laid awake, wondering if my heart was going to stop. The problem is though that the more you focus on it, the faster it becomes and the more abnormal it feels.

Have you seen a doctor? I saw mine the other week for some of the physical issues arising from anxiety and it was reassuring for me to just have him listen to my heart, check that it was fine and talk me through each of the symptoms.

Distractions works well and also talking about it. Sometimes when you say what your fears are out loud, they lose a little of their power. I also like to talk to myself and remind myself that although this feels real, it's generated by anxiety and that can't hurt me. It feels awful but it's not dangerous.

Be good to yourself.

• Posted

This is def. In my opionion anixiety I remember I use to lay in bed and convince myself that either my heart was going to explode or I could't swallow right snd my heart was beating to fast and I even use to think someone was coming in my home to kill me I mean racing thoughts that would go through my head that were totally invalid thoughts and were an illusion of my mind racing and I visited my doctor and they put me on anixiety meds to help me sleep and finally I got to the point that I could sleep, I had been taken clonazopam 2 mg three times a day and if need be I could take two at bed and go down to one during the day considering the side affects was tiredness and lagging with hangover feeling after waking, But me I am opposite with all meds there was a time where I had been on 22 psych meds to later discover the cocktail I was getting was making me horribly worse and now I take three meds at bed after finding out from my new doctor what I was prescribed in the terms could Knock out an elephant for three days. Counting sheep, listening to tribal music or meditation music is very relaxing at night try breathing at a very relaxed pace when your heart starts put your mind in a different place try not to focus on your chest and what that feeling is but think of something relaxing like puppies or babies something that makes you smile but relaxes you as well. Just a few things I thought I would offer..😄
  • Posted

I have been dealing with nightmares since last month. It may be because of side effects of anti depressants I'm on. Please don't worry and try to be in a relaxed state of mind before going to sleep. Having a heart attack is just another negative thought  and please don't pay heed to it else it will only create panic. Try progressive muscle exercises half an hour before you go to sleep.

Stay healthy

• Posted

do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who can help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.