Scared as usual

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just came off a gusher of a period that I started 4 days early. Now, my heart is doing flip flops every few minutes. It is driving me crazy and scaring me too. I am thinking I may be anemic with the blood loss. I am pale and lacking energy. I know people have posted about heart related issues in perimenopause. I am just wanting to know if flip flopping heart after period is common. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey Rebecca - My heart has been doing the flip flops and beat skipping for almost a week now. It's not constant - it comes and goes - but is still super annoying and does not feel good. Maybe try a mediation app like Calm? It seems to help me deal with some of those scarier symptoms like the heart stuff. You might try taking an iron supplement like Blood Builder if your periods are getting heavy. Also make sure you are staying hydrated. Having those super heavy periods can really drain you! My last period was 14 days long (!) which wore me out. Hang in there. xo

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am getting very nervous. I can stand the flip flopping just not as often as I am having it. I am trying to stay calm. It is not easy.

• Posted

I have to reeeeally work at staying calm. It's not easy at all. I am a kind of anxious person by nature anyway, so when all these scary symptoms happen, it is a struggle to not get too worked up. Sometimes I can keep it in check, but sometimes not! That's why the Calm app and things like that are good for me. Maybe try some chamomile and a bath. Sending you support.

• Posted

We are very similar, I think. I am also anxious by nature. I can't stand it when my body parts don't work right. I am like a used car that needs to be traded in. Except I don't think I am worth much at this point. The heart thing makes me the most anxious. I have had palpitations since I was 19 and an arrhythmia since my 30s. My cardiologist never gets excited about it and it is usually under control. I really do think it's anemia but I can't swallow pills very well. So I have to decide what is worse. swallowing pills or heart issues. Hmmmm.

• Posted

Yes.. I usually have those heart palps around my period.. Yes scary BUT I have read may posts that other women have them so I'm much more relaxed now.. I also have heavy periods which I have always taken iron pills a couple times a week just to make sure I'm not anemic. But a nutritionist told me it OK to take iron morning and night on my heavy flow days which makes sense so I do this currently. I also eat spinich everyday as well as a few other foods with iron in it.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I am trying not to freak out but it is hard. I am going to attempt to swallow the iron pill tomorrow and see if that helps. I googled iron rich foods. Not sure I'm crazy about any of them but I am getting desperate. 😀

• Posted

I bought a Lucky Iron Fish you just boil it in water and drink the water and it taste like water or vitamin shops have chewable iron pills for adults. I truly understand what you are going though and I am sending prayers your way. Been on this site just about everyday for 6 years but I never really post anything I just read and pray.

• Posted

Yes sometimes those supplements/pills are just awful to swallow.. Keep researching and I'm sure you will find one that works well for you. I take an 'iron plus' pill--- It's small and easy on my stomach. I order it online on the home shopping site-- Might want to look into it and read some reviews.

• Posted

Thank you! I have been suffering with everything under the sun for about two years now. Just when I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I am hit with another scary symptom. Prayer is the best thing we can do!

• Posted

I am going tonight to get the liquid iron you drink through a straw. It tastes horrible but hopefully it will help. I almost went to the emergency room today because my heart was completely out of rhythm for about 5 minutes. I called my heart doctor and he said double up on the beta blocker if that happens. I haven't done that yet. This is scary stuff!

• Posted

I get a fluttering heart at certain times during my cycle and I heard that it is normal- fluttering heart. I got everything checked out by Dr since I while back I was having chest pain. Everything turned out fine but I still get that pain now and then. Not sure if it is peri related. It feels like a burning pain in upper chest on left side. Not indigestion though as I know what that feels like. I think peri is messing with my heart and many other parts of me!

• Posted

I agree with you! I never knew I could experience so many scary things in 2 years. Many times I didn't think I would make it till morning, but I am still here. Hope you feel better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.