scared? need some adviçe.

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi im new to this but ill try to explain the best I can I have symptoms of an overactive thyroid such as weight loss ive dropped from 7 stone 10 to 6st 11 within a few weeks and im 24 and 5ft 4 so im medically classed as underweight now, ive had extreme tiredness where I just feel tired all the time no matter what, ive had diarrhea also and whenever I eat or drink something I get really hot flushes and sweating even when im not ina hot enviroment. I called the doctor about this today and due to me also suffering from panic attacks and agrophobia im unable to leave the house so hes going to send a doctor out to me tomorrow and then talk about getting a nurse to me to test me for an overactive thyroid with blood tests. But im really scared at the same time because ive looked it up and read about thyroid storm and have seen that can lead to heart failure so im scared to even wait until tomorrow to see a doctor I dont know what to do??

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sammie don't be scared.  If you are worried before you see the doctor and your condition gets worse just call an ambulance. The fact you know what  could be going on they will treat you straight away. Your anxiety will be worse because of the overactive thyroid.  As soon as they diagnose you they will give you medication and you will quickly get back to normal.  Your body has just gone into over drive and it is frightening, really frightening and it gives you panic attacks and makes everything a million times worse.  Make sure you keep hydrated, rest and wait to see the doctor tomorrow.  Don't read the internet post here. Xxx

• Posted

Finding out that I had an over active thyroid actually helped lower my anxiety because we finally knew what was wrong and it's treatable. Just check your pulse and don't let it get too high. Relax and rest if your tired. If you start feeling too bad just calm ambulance.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the kind advice I seen the doctor yesterday and he had a feel of the area on my throat where my thyroid is and said it doesnt feel swollen which is always a good sign but because of my symptoms he wants to run blood tests on me anyway so ive got a nurse coming out to my house today to take some bloods then I have an appointment with the doctor next week for my results as they said it will take a few days for them to come back I know im going to worry no matter what until those blood test results come back but im trying to keep myself as calm as possible. Thank you again for all the advice.
  • Posted

That's great news.  Are you shaking a lot? How is your bp and pulse?  I was put on propananol whilst I waited for my results, then had to wait to see an endocrinologist before my treatment started. Some people wait weeks to start treatment. Did the doctor suggest that? Xx

• Posted

Sometimes I get the shakes but not very often if I do then its mainly in my legs and hands he didnt check my bp but my pulse he checked that and he said it was going normally how it should at the time im on propranalol at the moment mainly because of my panic attacks but he said it should help me until I get the results back too. Problem with me is I always think worst case scenario like what if it develops to thyroid storm because I know that thyroid storm has been known to cause heart failure and thats what scares me so much xx
    • Posted

I am exactly the same - good to be aware of the worst case scenario!! smile just sit tight and rest.  You are on the right track now.  I was really poorly with Graves disease and now feel great. Xx

• Posted

But when I woke up this morning it was really strange because I was fine while I was laying down but the minute I got up my pulse started beathing really fast and I felt like I couldnt breath properly I think it just shocked me where it come on so suddenly xx
    • Posted

Yeah thank you so much. And thats good to hear that your better now hoping it'll be the same thing for me fingers crossed xx

• Posted

Did you feel like you needed to sleep all the time and just dont have the energy to do anything? Xx
    • Posted

I was exhausted and in a right state - I had severe palpitations, had trouble walking and just kept sleeping. My family just thought I was being lazy - I just had to sleep. X
    • Posted

Yeah you just described exactly how I feel most of the time and yeah I know how that feels my family try and say its laziness half the time as well and im like no its not im just very tired x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up