Scared of all things medical

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone just wondered if anyone feels the same? Most posts on here refer to medical intervention. Doctors, hospitals etc. I have had severe health anxiety since I was five that I can remember. The school nurse got me into a panic. Since then I have avoided doctors and hospitals at every opportunity!  I'm now 66! Obviously there have been times in my life when I have had no choice but the anxiety is crippling! Every day there is something to worry about but I can't go to docs for reassurance. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who feels the same or someone who,s been like this and overcame it. Thanks in advance. E. 

0 likes, 29 replies

Report / Delete

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am the same way,I am phobic about doctors,I just have no faith in them for various reasons.

i am going to London on Friday for a minor procedure but it involves an anaesthetic.My mind is racing and I am imagining the worst case scenario. Does not help that I am now 72 and live alone with no family around.

i do go to the local doctors and they tell me it is 'just anxiety' but I do not believe them.

I think that every symptom I have will result in a terminal illness.

I need help too!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Wendy thanks for your reply. You think we would be old enough to be sensible! Have you had this fear all your life or is it recent? Of course as one gets older the potential increases for illness and so does the accompanying anxiety. It's a vicious circle eh? Why do you have to go to London? Is it because it's near you? We have to remind ourselves that the medical profession are there to HELP us and won't GIVE us anything. Well we hope not! Wonder why I can't take this on board. How do you manage your anxiety re medical matters? E.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think I have been frightened of illness most of my life.

My parent's generation thought of the medical profession as gods but sadly from exoerience(not my own) of how  people very close to me were let down by the medical profession I do not have the faith in them.

I inherited my fears from my mother.

the only medication Intake when I experience a panic attack is 'propalonol' which is a beta blocker,but I am reluctant to take other medications for fear of side effects.

my main problem is that I am alone with very little moral  support.

i am going to London because I have one or two friends  there who could be around if needed,but sadly I do not have a close friend in my area who I can ask for help.That is the crux of my anxiety.I don't mind getting older,but I mind getting old ALONE!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good morning . I.m supposed to be heading out this morning......first time since Boxing Day. I have had a chest infection but of course have made myself worse with anxiety. Can I extend an invitation to you and Anne  to contact me privately?. I dot know how to do it from here. It would be good to chat to people my own age who understand. Hpe we all have a good day. Thanks. E. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Wendi I have been trying to send a private message but to no avail! There are instructions but I can't even see the envelope that should signify the message procedure. I hope you,re well after your hospital visit. I was thinking about you. E.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi: have to greet you as such.... sorry.

68 here but luckly still fit, and please/thank you God, fit and heathly enough to still enjoy being here.

Honestly. just let it go. The whole heap of nonsense - much of which we build ourselves - but please, please, please! just don't let them hurt you any more!

! I did - well at least I've started and suddenly I can see a glimpse of light to head for

your post.... Best wishes

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Elizabeth: Honestly: all I did was to drop all defences and admit that I'm no better than anyone else - but it was beaten into me thanks to a private edcuation - think Enid Blyton era. 

I nearly died and was in bed for a month and ended up just falling in love with her books. Fine.  Then I discovered 'Mallory Towers (get the non-pc editions). What a joke to even admit to that!

You sound such a nice person and I only replied because it (what you've posted), so resounded with me.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Elizabeth, i,m 67 and have dreadful health anxiety and everything that goes with bad nerves, i do have aches and pains and a bladder problem called intistitial cystitis but the worst is palpitations which the hospital are trying to sort out at the moment. I live in Romford Essex and live alone too
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Ann can you send a private message. There's another lady here who we could maybe chat to too. I'm sorry I don't know how to do it. I would like to keep in touch. I hope you can see my other post. Thanks. E. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry i can,t text, limited knowledge of the mobile i,m afraid.  It will be difficult to have a conversation if you have hearing difficulties, do you have a hearing aid?   I will ask my daughter to show me how to text again.   Hope you are Ok, its pouring with rain here.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello again I didn't get out. A bit wild here too with wind and rain. I'm not a patient patient but sometimes need to be resigned that the best thing to do is nothing! Do you have an e mail address? I am profoundly deaf having been deafened overnight with what doctors think was a viral infection. This was about 20 years ago. I do use hearing aids but they,re only useful in one to one conversations face to face. Hope we can sort something out. I don't suppose pigeon post is still an option?. Lol. E.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know we shouldn,t put personal details on here but i will!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service. I also removed the mobile number from earlier in the discussion. It is not a good idea posting these details on the open internet.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Ann I think I have found out how to private message. If u look to the right hand side top of all these posts there is an envelope sign saying messages . That's ur inbox. My message shld be in there. To the left hand side of some of the posts here is an envelope. If you click on one under my name u should be able to message me. Clear as mud???  Hope you are ok. E. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up