Scared of HIV

Posted , 5 users are following.

It all started with bad period pains. I never really get period cramps but this time it was quite bad. This started me on a spiral down the Dr.Google path that first convinced me its aging (I’m 26), hormonal changes, endometriosis, untreated chlamydia and now finally... HIV.

I booked for a cervical screening which is in 2 days.

But since frantically Googling, I’ve placed myself under so much stress and anxiety that I have made myself vomit!

I’ve started noticing other symptoms now and each time I google them they’ve convinced me it’s HIV.

- pale tongue (whitish in colour)

- mild abdominal pain

- cough

- haemorrhoid 

- irritated skin in the pubic region (looks like shave rash but I haven’t shaved in a while)

And I don’t know if it’s all the stress I’ve put myself under but now I have a slightly runny nose and scratchy throat.

I can’t deal with the stress! I put it out of my mind and then I start all over again.

Has anyone experience with sort of health anxiety, worked themselves up to become physically sick and turned out to be okay?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have Kasey. The cough, dry mouth, and white tounge were all anxiety symptoms for me at one point. I always felt like I had a lump in my throat. Stomache problems and stool issues are also common.  I was dealing with a different issue but same result. I’m really sorry you are going through this... as I know how painful anxiety can be.

Is there a specific issue that you are concerned about? Bad period pains could be many, many things - I assume. 

• Posted

Sorry that you're dealing with all this. Definitely anxiety. But the first step to getting your life back is staying away from Google; it exaggerates things and creates anxiety in people. I hope you feel better.

• Posted

First of all, 

GET OFF GOOGLE. 

GOOGLE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR. 

Go see a real doctor. 

• Posted

I'm dealing with this right now

• Posted

Hi David. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I know how overwhelming the thoughts and anxiety/stress can be. I got my results back 2 days ago and I am 100% fine. No HIV, no other STDs or STI. It was all just my anxiety that fueled this! Feel free to message me if you'd like to chat about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.