Scared of removal surgery /fatigue problem

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi, i have posted here before but i now have more details and a surgery date. i have to get my gallbladder removed on Thursday. i am only 18 and really scared. i am mostly scared about going under (i have been under before but it was only for about 10 mins) so i was wondering if its any different the longer you are under. my second concern is about a weird symptom that i have which is fatigue. its not just every now and then, i am talking about a consent feeling of being tired and like i have a big rock in my head. i read online that this is possible, but i was wondering if anyone had the same feeling and did it go away after surgery. i really hope it does because i can't live a normal life feeling like this all the time.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You must be strong . Don't worry it will be ok. I was so scarred too. It's a piece of cake. Before surgery you will be nervous . Just ask the anesthesiologist to give you something for your nerves. After that you will be ready. Going under is ok you will be fine. I came out feeling better than I was.

• Posted

i just had gallbladder surgery a week ago. i feel pretty good now. IM 56 but a good friends daughter got hers out and she was 21. i too was nervous but im sure you will be fine. it is a common surgery. the surgery is about an hour but it takes about an hour of prep time with the anastesia. i went home about 2 hrs later. the first two days were the worst. the pain wasnt bad just uncomfortable as i couldnt sleep laying down / i needed to sit up. i took pain meds 4 times and that was it. i found that i was too sleepy ( could not keep eyes open) and i ended up vomiting 2 or 3 times ( was either the after effects of anastesia or the pain meds )and that worried me. i had some burst of energy on day 4 but my advice to you is to take it easy and rest. i had soup crackers then apples and bananas and graham or saltine crackers . Today i had chicken breast. You will be fine!

• Posted

I am assuming that they did a pre-op already. (blood work, a check up). If so, they would have found any problems that would be causing the fatigue.

If nothing major was found then you're okay.

I have fibromyalgia and was worried that it would be a problem with this surgery fatigue wise, but it was okay. I am now 2 months post op and everything is okay.

You will feel tired after the surgery but nothing more than usual. If you get a good sleep the days following the surgery it will resolve any fatigue issues.

Try not to worry. (I know, easier said than done).

You're young and healthy and this is a routine surgery that is relatively short.

You'll be home and on the mend in no time.

• Posted

yes they did, i also had many tests done including a ct scan on my head which showed no abnormalities so im guessing it has to be the gallbladder. thank you for the response!

• Posted

You will be fine. It is natural to be nervous because you are putting all of your control in someone else's hand. By telling you the risks (because they have to) it blows them out of proportion in your mind. Imagine if they did that for every time you crossed a road - you would never leave the house because the risks are much greater! The operation is very low risk, especially at your age. I am nearly 70 and had never been in hospital till a couple of years ago. I've had two knee replacements and my gall bladder out and because of a heart problem they found I was naturally nervous, as we all are. But it was more than worth it and now it was the best thing I ever did. I can eat and drink what I like with absolutely no discomfort. The pain was quite manageable - much less than from my gall bladder issue before and more like the pain from a cut initially rather than the gut wrenching kind. You will be fine!,

Dave

• Posted

Can I ask why they are taking your gallbladder? You are so very young.. I had mine out 5 years ago and I totally regret it. I have been sick since. Mine was due to inflammation. But I have since learned that there are ways to treat that before going through a major surgery. I still have extreme fatigue and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Just make sure that you weigh out all of your options before a surgery.

Take care dear

• Posted

You sound like you're just fear mongering.

For one...if she is having very bad inflammation or gall stones, NO it cannot be fixed any other way but through surgery, despite what scammers say.

And two, why write how sick you've been? Why try to scare people? Have you not heard of the phrase "If you've got nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all?"

She is young and healthy, she has the best chances of this going very well with quick healing time.

I bet you're old which is why you're still so sick. (no offense) but it is much different than a young person healing.

And lastly, why I think you're a scammer or troll is because they seem to use the term "dear" more than anyone.

Anyhow, don't worry Thereasa. I am a real person and I am being honest with you. The surgery is quick and although you will need to take time to heal, it will be okay.

• Posted

hi there

you will be just fine, your pre op bloods are great, so be positive, look forward to a new phase in your life. Eat healthily, sleep when you need to but give your self a focus to get over this, new hobby, college course etc.

like other people have said you are young and healthy, this will be a breeze!

good luck

• Posted

sorry to hear that, i have had gallstones for 4 years and always had the fatigue for that long! but it never caused me any pain until this year and im at the point where i cant eat a meal. its pretty much my only option at this point.

• Posted

First of all I am 44, not old, secondly I want people to see that gall bladder removal is not always the best option for everyone. It can be helpful, but it can also be life changing as it has been for myself and my brother who is younger than me. Why be so nasty with the name calling? You don't know me or her. Have you read these forums ? Have you read the stories of others who have gotten so sick from this procedure? Get educated before you judge! You haven't walked in my shoes and you don't have a right to judge me. Ever since I had my surgery I have bile reflux. So everyday of my life I have bile burning my esophagus until it bleeds. I get bleeding ulcers in my stomach, I get anemic from the blood loss and have to have iron infused into my vein..why? Because my bile duct is too large and it is from having gall bladder surgery!! And no doctor can repair it. So don't judge until you have walked a mile in my shoes..

• Posted

The whole point is, don't fear monger people especially a young scared girl.

I had my gall bladder out too and yes, I have heard stories too.

But everyone is different and it makes no sense to me for you to start scaring someone about how awful it could be.

What's the point?

Most people don't get their gall bladder out unless is the very last option.

I doubt very much she made the decision without a lot of thought behind it.

So in that case, why scare people?

If it was like me, I had no choice. I was in massive pain and nothing was fixing it.

I went on like that for months.

I had the surgery and have relief...thank god!! I am healing quite well....again thank god.

If you have issues, make your own post, but again, don't go freaking people out if you can already see that they are nervous.

That's all I am saying.

• Posted

How dare you repremand some one who knows more about the gall bladder than you......Kim 69253 is right and you are wrong..... You may be a gastroenterologist which is the same as an unknowledgeable gastro registrar that I had the most bad luck anyone could have when I was told by her that there is only one thing to rectify the problem of cholesterol gall stones that are in the gall bladder and that is to remove it.........

Totally out of order and totally wrong......

Please research Ursodioxycholic acid dissolution treatment before you state any more incorrections.

• Posted

I also know of people who have died from believing that their gall stones could be dissolved by other means than surgery.

They waited too long and they didn't listen when told they needed surgery.

How dare YOU tell me I don't know.

I have researched high and low on all of it. I am not spouting information that isn't well researched or the dangers of leaving gall bladder issues.

I was also telling her that I don't believe in fear mongering, that was the actual issue more so than anything else.

I still stand by that.

• Posted

Kim I'm 100% with you , don't listen to daisy.

Removing an organ can be devastating ,especially if there are alternatives.

Many people accept having an organ removed before knowing all the facts and alternatives.

• Posted

Except 9 times out of 10 there isn't alternatives and you get these people that tell others there is, then they take all sorts of pills and die from infection. I have many nurse friends and I can tell you, it's 100% true.

People are irresponsible telling others to wait it out, seek alternatives...this can be very dangerous and devastating advice.

This isn't a poll on who believes what, the whole point is, no one makes the choice to have this surgery unless there is a lot of pain and sickness already.

That's not something you fool around with.

I will now graciously leave this thread.

To Thereasa, I wish you the best and I hope it brings you much relief, sweetheart, you'll be okay.

You're doing the best thing in taking care of yourself. There are thousands of us who have gone through this same surgery and are better for it...try not to worry.

• Posted

so sorry to hear about your horrid conditions i had bile malabsorbtion also the doctor gave me questran maybr look it up if you have not already tried it . hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Hi Kim, can u plse tell me what kinds of treatment are available for an inflamed GB?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.