Scared Of Starting 10mg of Citalopram, what to expect?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

This is a really long story but I'll shorten it for the sake of being short and brief. About 2 month ago I did 2 tabs of acid and it was the most awful experiences ever, I was high for about 3 days straight and ever since then I haven't felt right.... I'm anxious all the time and severly depressed so I talked to my family who then persuaded me to see a doctor. He prescribed these meds to me but I'm scared of taking them. I'm only 18 and ever since i did the acid I havent felt like myself, I'm just scared that If i take the meds, I won't improve and they'll be no hope for me... or on the other hand, they'll work and then I'll have to continue to take this medication for the rest of my life. I have no idea how to proceed and what should I expect in terms of side effects with this medication?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I hope to hear from you guys soon.

-Allan

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You might feel anxious to start with and worse before you get better as it takes a while to stabilise in your system. After 4 weeks you should get a marked mood improvement though
  • Posted

Hi Allan

Yes agree - the meds often increase your anxiety to start with, but it does wear off.  You may also feel nauseous, heady and it sometimes affects your sleep too.  These side effects do wear off.

Your nerves have had a shock - anxiety and depression can start in various ways, stress or shock and the result is an outpouring of adrenaline, which is anxiety.  You then become afraid of that anxiety which in turn produces more anxiety on top of what you've already got.  You get stuck in a cycle.  Taking the meds will help to soothe your nerves and in time they'll return to normal.  You can also help yourself by slowing down, relaxing as you move about whilst you wait for the meds to kick in.

Don't expect an overnight fix ..... these meds can take months, not weeks.  Don't be disheartened by that as they will really help you get back on track.  Recovery happens so slow that you often don't notice it, but keep persevering, through whatever is thrown at you and you'll begin to eventually start feeling better.

Everyone takes different times to heal so don't worry if yours is longer or different that the next person.  We're all different.

You will heal though.

K x

• Posted

Hey Allan

Listen to Kate lol. I'm approaching week 12 of being on Citslopram 10mg I'm now up to 15mg and it has taken ages but it is so worth it in my opinion.

I couldn't leave the house 6 weeks ago now I'm driving everyday. Side effects sucknat first but you'll get through them. Be patient.

My anxiety started at 18 when I stopped weed. Left it til I'm now 30 and had a breakdown before starting anything.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

ur burnt....aka hung over. Relax and stop overthinking the trip. Work out, eat right, stay active. U will be better in a week
  • Posted

Hi Allan. I can go into a panic attack just thinking about taking tablets and what will happen. Ive had heightened anxiety for many years (also after random drug use in my younger years) and finally agreed to try Citalopram 10mg. I felt the same as you and in the first week or so i felt nothing then into the 2nd week, i just felt less anxious and relaxed, knowing they were helping me. I havent increased my dose ive just levelled up in my head. Drugs play with your head and overthinking or researching too much on good old Google can make it worse. Try the Citalopram, eat lots of good food, walk, talk, get some music on and try to laugh because your brain will get back to normal faster with a little love and help from you. Sending you a hug and happy thoughts x
  • Posted

I dont know who these doctors are that are prescribing anti-depressants like candy.. it is really scary how many people come on here saying their doctors have given them meds for such strange reasons.

Did you have anxiety before the acid? Were you depressed before? Are you anxious about what you experienced on the drugs? Do you have panic attacks? How did the doctor decide you should go on antidepressants because you have been feeling anxious for two months?? That seems absolutely crazy to me.. these drugs arent an overnight fix. They can take many many months, MONTHS not weeks. To work. Before then you can struggle with insomnia, lethargy, depression, decreased or utterly destroyed sex drive, inability to reach orgasm, increased anxiety, memory issues. Do not go into this lightly.

Why anyone ever takes anti-depressants before trying therapy is beyond me.. I could not recommend enough getting a second opinion, seeing a therapist/counsellor, even going to your local hospital if you are surrounded by incomptetant doctors, before getting on citalopram.

What I can say is this is a forum of people who are not doctors, or therapists or medical professionals. We can support you in your decisions and through the processes but are not the people to be making HUGE life decisions for you. 

Seek appropriate health. Read research on citalopram. Read exactly how it works. Read about acid. Explore exactly what is making you anxious. Keep a diary. Try meditation. Exercise. Do not take drugs, stop drinking alcohol till you feel better.

There are so many ways to help yourself before this.

Good luck! If you need any more help just message me.

• Posted

Hey,

I did do research and decided that the possible side effects far outweigh the "rewards" so to speak so I'm just going to try to beat this with therapy and a good support system. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

- Allan

• Posted

Hey guys,

Just want to give an update to my situation. I did stop all drugs and alcohol so I've been clean for those two months and I've been exercising daily however the anxiety is the worst of it. Before all this, I was just a happy kid who would tell cheesy jokes and liked to play video games however now it's like I'm a former shell of that person and I don't even recognize myself. I did take a tab that day but I felt like a zombie all day so I stopped. I tried therapy today which was okay. Acid is no joke, I find myself thinking these scary thoughts about how my life is going nowhere and I should just kill myself. It scars me sh&*less even thinking that but I try to stop myself whenever that happens.

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.