Scared of taking medicine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, does anyone else feel scared to take any sort of medicine? I have always had anxiety, but I have just recently out of the blue started having panic attacks and it's flipped my world completely upside down.  Now I'm scared everything is going to kill me! After an awful reaction to lexapro, my doctor took me off of it and I've been anxious to take any sort of medication ever since. I've had swollen tonsils and a sore throat for about a month now, and my doctor gave me some nasal spray to take because she thinks that post nasal drip might be what's causing it. Well, I'm scared to take it, worried about having side effects or an allergic reaction- and if I do take it I'll overanalyze what I'm feeling to the max and I'll freak out that something's wrong. Oh brother... any advice? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am so scared to take any medication as well. It’s all part of the anxiety. I have all of these fears and thoughts and I think the medicine will hurt me. You are not alone it’s a scary feeling. If you do decide to take the medicine I would take it then try to do something to get your mind off of it so you won’t be thinking about side effects and things like that 
  • Posted

I feel like this is a very common issue with anxiety sufferers. I have never even had any bad reactions to meds but I find myself getting nervous to take them lately for some reason. Even small meds like Tylenol that I've already used hundreds of times.

I highly suggest seeing a therapist and discussing this issue with them. Look for one who specializes in anxiety, that will be more beneficial for you. I used that Pyschology Today website to find one near me, made it a lot easier. 

• Posted

Sometimes if i notice something on my body like some kind of pain i think: if i'ld take medication i'ld think thats a side effect but its not because i dont take meds

So maybe if you take them whatever you notice doesn't have to come from the meds

• Posted

i had an awful awful time.  I  was so scared to take anything.  I would red the side effects and boom panic.  I knew it was silly and harmful.  So one day I decide this is it.  I made a plan.  I sat on the chair with the phone next to me just incase I had to call the hospital and I told myself if something happens , I will call for an ambulance.  And I took it.  Panic for a minute than nothing.  I felt fine.  Really what is the worse thing that can happen.  death.  Well, if you actually did die, there is nothing you can do about it..  Right.  If you say ok F' this die already and take the pill, for some reason your body will relax.  Because your more mad than scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.