Scared of the anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m day 20. Feeling a little better, today anyway.  Someone here asked me why I wasn’t driving (sorry, I don’t know who it was). 

A friend took me to the drug store yesterday. I had a little vertigo but managed. The lights in the store bothered me. I probably could have gone myself, but the thought of trying anything triggers anxiety.  I’ve realized that I am terrified of the anxiety. 

Is this still normal for where I am now? Will this fade when the Prozac kicks in more?  Once true anxiety is triggered I have to take an anti-anxiety as I can’t calm myself down.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am day 38 Amd still have the anxiety and feel terrible.  Need reassurance. 
  • Posted

Hi Tracey,

These definitely increase the anxiety.  I was diagnosed with panic disorder 21 years ago.  I was terrified of the anxiety.  It will not kill you or harm you or I would have been gone a long time ago.  I was scared to be alone or thought I would pass out.  Nothing ever happened.  This time I’m in week 8 on Prozac, still have the anxiety.  It will get better eventually.  I wasn’t having bad anxiety until the last 4 weeks, so it’s definitely the side effects.  I don’t understand why these have to make us feel worse for months before they help.  I went for 20 years though on them doing great.  This time I need it for depression, and because of the side effects now I have bad anxiety too.  I had stopped Effexor in July because I felt it wasn’t helping depression, now trying Prozac.  Once I get something to help me again, I am never stopping it, so I don’t have to go through the side effects from the beginning again.  Hang in there, I think we need to give it 12 weeks to settle down.  It seems like forever, but if we feel better after that, then it’s not really that long.

• Posted

yup i am still anxious of going places. i dont leave the house much since this started but tdday trying to go to the store and had so much anxiety i had to take anxiety meds. and my dizziness is still there. and showers leave me tired and drained. I dont know if anyone else experiences that when having bad anxiety episodes i tend to lose all my adrealyn and energy and cant stand longer than 5 min. its terrible. i hope it will all change once the meds really kick in and with therapy and good food and life skills.
    • Posted

Hi Tina.

Thinking about your vertigo. Has it improved at all? How did your trip to the store turn out? 

Hope you are doing well.

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

so sweet of you to check in. I honestly feel somtimes if it werent for my dizziness my healing would happen just a little faster. i still have it. some days worse than others. Just got my monthly visitor today so i think it made it worse but it worries me how i have it every day and cant turn or do normal stuff. 

went to the store and powered through it. with dizziness. im drinking ginger tea right now. but i just dont know what else to do. i see doc again on the 16th but not sure what hes gonna be able to do for me.

how are you? improving more? how many weeks are on? im on 6 weeks.

• Posted

3 weeks. But it feels like forever. Just want my life back. I feel better in some ways. I have some vertigo still, but not like it was. My biggest struggle is the anxiety. Trying to be patient.

Take care

• Posted

I know tracey its awful isnt it? but 3 weeks is so early and i promise itll get a little better. it takes so long so just be patient just like you said. im so glad you dont have as bad of vertigo maybe mine will go away little by little but its week 6 so it scares me.

i probably asked you this already but do you have any medication for your anxiety?

• Posted

I was given Lorazepam. I can take two a day. They make me feel drugged, but help when the anxiety is bad. I’m only supposed to take these when I can’t rake it anymore... like yesterday afternoon, it only helped about 1 hours though.
    • Posted

I have xanax. when i was feeling ok before october i rarely took it. but since i got sick again ive had to take it every single day. You do whatever you feel you have to do but i know when it comes to my body and sanity i will take the meds to feel better till my body can do it on its own. so now i take a few of them a day (its a very low dose) if i can im not having bad panic or nausea then ill go without as long as possible but i do take it at least 1-3 times a day. i took ativan years ago it wasnt my favorite because it didnt take the anxiety away only made me sleepy. but if it helps with the anxiety then thats all that matters.

also i thought the same as you "take it when only you cant take it anymore" then when i had one doctor tell me that it was wrong to do that. she said if i wait too long it wont work anymore. have to take it when you start to feel anxious just measure the anxiety. i use to wait all day. bad mistake. if i have terrible anxiety at 9 am ill take it then. if i have it bad at 9 pm ill take it then if i have it at both ill take it twice. hope that helps. but sounds like you manage it pretty well its just your prozac is early and causes so much ddang anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you Tina! What you said makes sense to me. My only issue is that I take a sleeping pill every night and can’t combine them. Every afternoon at 3 or 4 pm I have to decide if I can make it to evening. I can’t take it after 4 pm because the two drugs can’t be taken within 4 hours of each other. 

Taking Paxil for 4 years in late 90’s destroyed my sleep. 

• Posted

oh no! so without sleeping meds you dont get rest? thats awful. i had never had a sleeping issue till i started prozac. its getting a tiny bit better but several rough weeks. although ill take that over my nausea and dizziness. BLEH!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.