Scared to bump up even after so long

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed citalopram 20mg about 2 almost 3 years ago. I took it with no issues and then went off of it for about a year. About 6 months ago I went back on and the dr started me at 10mg and then told me to take that for 2wks and then bump up to 20. I don't know why, but I'm so afraid to bump up. I'm scared I'll have side effects.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I took 10mg for 5 weeks and then increased to 20mg. I had side effects which lasted 2 - 3 weeks when I first started the meds but when I increased to 20mg I had no side effects whatsoever, so please don't worry too much. Just take one day at a time, and if that's too much, take 1 hour at a time x
  • Posted

Hi leah Andrea. ..do not be afraid. I am so so afraid of meds ...I started at 20mg for almost a month. Dr wanted me to double. I did not double I went an extra 10mg. I am very sensitive to meds. I truely feel you do not have to worry. My depression is almost gone. My anxiety not all yet. But I have not been on long enough. Try not to worry ..I think you will be ok
  • Posted

Hi

This is my second time on these meds and I had a different experience this time around.  I went straight back onto 20mg, and apart from only one night of extreme anxiety, I was fine.  One thing that bothered me this time around which I didn't have first time, was a long period of being flat - I just felt a nothingness - it wore off eventually.  But it really was fine and not something I couldn't cope with.

K xx

Maybe if you're unsure about bumping up, why not cut the tablets up and increase by just an extra half, making it 15mg.  Take that until you're settled then add in the next 5mg so you're up to 20mg.

• Posted

Oooh I signed off in the middle on paragraphs 😄
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for replying. I'm going to try doing the 15mg first. It feels so much better to have others to talk to and that can relate. I'm so thankful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.