Scared to start Zoloft

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor keeps recommending Zoloft to me for my generalized anxiety disorder that's been only getting worse but I'm just terrified of taking it as everyone I know has always told me to stay away from anxiety medication but my doctor says it's harmless. I'm just scared it will make my anxiety even worse than it already is or I won't be able to handle the side effects. Has anyone had a good experience with this medicine ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking 100mg Zoloft for a little over a month now. The first two weeks were horrible. My anxiety increased a lot. But I stayed on it because I was told it can sometimes make things worse before they make them better. Things are much better now. I still have anxiety but it is far less than what I was having before the medication. I wish you luck and hope you start feeling better soon.
  • Posted

I Too held off the Zoloft for fears of side effects but when my gad got so bad I felt there was nothing to. Lose.

That was 4 years ago and it has now given me my life back!!!

I had side effects for the first 2 weeks but well worth it when I see where I am now.

I hope you start to feel better soon xx

• Posted

Zoloft is a widely studied, safe medication. It is probably one of the two most potent SSRIs with a pronounced anti-anxiety profile. I would suggest that you trust your doctor as apparently he/she knows what he/she's doing.

?Now, the problem with Zoloft is that it starts working after 4-6 weeks and in the initial few weeks all you get are side effects. Some of them are unpleasant (vertigo, headaches, insomia, etc.) but you need to realise that they will eventually disappear and that you will start feeling better. So just give yourself a chance, promisse yourself that you will continue taking these tablets for 2 months no matter what.

• Posted

Well they are definitely not harmless...

Some people are lucky and get no side effects, others get loads. I was unlucky I think.

I quite after 5 days on 50mg. The insomnia and increased anxiety was to hard to deal with plus the sickness constantly and fatigue!

The second time I took 25mg and done a lot better. It really look the edge off my anxiety but it took about 3 weeks to notice a difference. The first two weeks were still grim.

Have you tried anything other than Sertraline yet?

Propranolol has helped me loads.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.