Scared to try new medication?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone been scared to try a new medication? I've been putting it off for so long because I'm scared I'll have horrible side effects like I have had before.

0 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Victoria, you won't know until you try them, your GP must feel the possibility of them helping you outweighs any possible side effect.

I just started a new med and was reluctant but went ahead and luckily no side effects.

Check on some forums what common ones are so you are at least aware, you can always stop taking them if the effects are too unpleasant and you think you can't continue with them for a couple of weeks until your body adjusts.

Neil 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Victoria, I always get like this! I just keep looking on forums like this for reassurance or speak to my gp/pharamcy. What medication are you starting? Like Neil said, the positives will outweigh the negatives smile 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Amy,

Im about to start Pristiq 50mg. I'm about to look online side effects and see if there is forums out there on it. I tried Celxa before and the side effects of that is what makes me nervous to try something new.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes all the time.I have the same phobias about medication,mainly anti depressants and anti anxiety,so I don't take them.Inreally think CBT could be the answer although it is not a quick fix,but then again,neither are the pills.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was really scared to take medication and to be honest the first night wasn't great but I accepted that at the moment the meds are to help me and I've had no side effects in the month I've been taking them.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was just overly aware of every single sensation in my body and was convinced that something was going to happen. Nothing did. After that I went nearly a week without crying for the first time in months. I got rather down over Christmas but seem to be on the up again, went back to the gym for the first time in ages and no tears for a while either. It is worth trying the anti depressants, they are there to help you. Good luck. Message me anytime if you need to chat xxxx good luck
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes! Big problem for me... I have some anti inflamatories for my back that have been in my cupboard for months that im too scared to take! My biggest problem is with painkillers or anything that makes me sleepy as it sets off a panic attack. I suffer with dizziness and the doctor gave me something to help but i was too scared to take it but the dizziness got so bad and i wanted to see if it helped so i asked my mum to come and spend a few hours with me while i took one to see if i felt ok on it.... When it kicked in and the dizziness improved and i felt ok on it , i knew i would be fine the next time and i now take them no bother when i need them
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

its hard to over come a fear. I'm glad you had someone there with you to help you if you needed something smile my fear is antidepressants. I can take anything else no problem, just not these. I took Celxa once before Lexapro no longer was helping me, but I'm  not sure if it was the timing or what, but the very next day after taking my first pill, I started getting sick, i didnt want to eat,drink, i was super depressed, i thought i was dying.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Victotia, yes I am the same I suffer severe health aniexty and every aniexty going with it. I am waiting on CBT but the doctor prescribed me Clitopram and Propanadol. I haven't tried either as I am scared too. Least night I was extremely bad having two panic attacks but just battled through. Howrver, if this occurs again I definitely will take something. I have diazaphan in the house (from a previous time when a death occurred) and I will take one of these, I took before and they seemed to be fine. Good luck xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi i'm always scared too.  Just been prescribed buspirone on temporary basis but can't take it.  Researching some natural ways to relax me - l-theanine and lemon bal,.  I believe that no matter what we take or are given, our problem will not go away unless we learn how to deal with it ourselves, although sometimes we need some help.  Going to try natural remedies and counselling and CBT and NO STRESS until i've got throught this bad patch.  Good luck. xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yeah, I have been. I used to be afraid to take my hydroxyzine which was prescribed to me to take as needed for high amxiety. I was afraid it would mix bad with my fluoxitine. This medicine is supposed to work fast - I'm assuming the pills you were described are more like an SSRI? If so, it won't work instantlym, it takes your body a week or so to adjust. I'm not going to lie to you, there will be some side effects most likely but they will go away. I finally buckles down and took my hydroxyzine and now i don't know how I functioned with out it. I think your doctor prescribed you pill because he/she felt it would be a good fit. I think you'll be fine. Can you tell me what meds so I can guess the side effects you might get?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up