Scarf osteotomy - Stiffness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All.  I had a Scarf osteotomy back in October and only started walking on my foot 3 weeks ago, following various problems with the healing process but I am finding it really uncomfortable walking as the joints across the toes have become stiff and sore and when the toes are flexed it really is quite painful.  Has anyone else experienced this and how long does this last for. Just wondering what time frame in am looking at.   I am walking in flat boots and trainers so I am not putting any unnecessary pressure on the foot. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had a bunion removal in December I'm still finding it really difficult to move my toe due to it being so painful. I wore boots for the first time on Saturday but that has made my foot even more painful and swollen,my physiotherapist told me to keep wearing my protective boot. I had my last physio appt. yesterday.
  • Posted

10 weeks for me and still stiff although pysio is helping.  I can walk without pain although not as quickly as previously but not run jump or skip ! 
  • Posted

Thanks Guys.  I wasn't given the option for phsio, albeit I think it would greatly help.  Is this something you got as a follow up or privately. I think I may ask my consultant to  refer me.  Thank you for your comments 
    • Posted

My physio was a follow up from the hospital not private, but I've been discharged after only four sessions ?!
    • Posted

I paid for a physio session and got one on the NHS. So I had 2 sessions. The NHS physio  did say that they didn't usually do sessions for post bunion surgery. I found some good exercises by searching the Internet. because my big toe joints were extremely stiff when I first came out of the post surgery shoes.  They were so stiff that I couldn't get any shoes on. Exercises started with manual manipulation of toes to move them up and down and then pulling up toes, curling toes under, raising foot so on tip toes ( in a seated position), trying to pick up a scrunched up towel with toes ( getting better at grabbing some of the towel but still can't pick it up!) and lots of massage to help with any swelling. Hope that this is of some use
    • Posted

sorry , meant to say that I was referred by my GP for the physio session so you. At be able to do this and it might be a bit quicker. The waiting time in my area was 4-6 weeks. 
  • Posted

Thanks Karen.  I'm on the case.  Hopefully the exercises will help. You forget what normal walking was like:-). Good luck with your recovery.
  • Posted

Like you I had my op in October, 10/10/14, both feet were done and to be honest I have times when I'm in more pain now than in the weeks after

the op, when things felt more uncomfortable than painful. I also suffer

with pain and stiffness in my toes which also still swell on a regular

basis especially if I've over done things. I'm back wearing my training

shoes when I leave the house but have to remove these and change into crocs when I'm home as they are the only shoes I feel comfy wearing.

I can't walk bare foot as it feels like I've got golf balls under my feet and my feet feel really cold at night so I wear fluffy socks to bed, something I could never do pre op, hated anything on my feet in bed.

I put it down to recovery being a long road and the fact that I'm on my

feet all day and no longer elevate. I have an appointment to see a

podiatrist next week so hopefully they can give advise on how I'm

progressing.

• Posted

Hi Misskh.  I had my op only 3 days before you and what you describe is exactly what I am experiencing. It is a long haul to recovery but hopefully we will be up and running for the Summer.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

It is eleven weeks since I had scarf op, it's been a slow recovery for me. I've only  just managed to wear a lace up shoe , unlaced. The joint is still swollen and does not want to move, it's red and purple. I'm doing exercises  to get it mobile,  see my backwards discussion.... This is a really good site for help and advice.  Recovery times vary so much, some get over it very fast, others take time.   The scarf op seems to be  more complicated  surgery needing  longer to see much improvement , like me. But got to keep fighting it and keep mobile. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.