Scary looking mole pathology report

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone. I found two scary looking moles on my body. One I've had for around 6 years, other one for even more (I'm 28 now). They both had all ABCD signs of melanoma (>6 mm, very asymmetrical, notched borders, multiple colors) . I showed them to my dermatologist and he wasn't concerned about the first one. He examined it with a dermatoscope and he said it looked normal. However, second one was very suspicious, he even said possible early melanoma and recommended removal. Today, the pathology report came back as benign compound naevus ,no signs of atypia. So, I have couple of questions. Has anyone here had similar experience (scary looking mole turned out to be benign by pathology)? How common it is for an abnormal looking mole to be completely benign? Also, regarding the first mole, is it common that a dermatoscopy reveals a mole to be normal even though it looks suspicious on eye examination? Searching on the google made me think that every mole which shows ABCD signs is either atypical mole or melanoma, now it turns out to be very untrue. I'm kinda confused now and don't know what to look out for.

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You will be surprised at the large number of benign conditions that might resemble something dangerous. We always think /worry about those few scary diseases but there are thousands of harmless symptoms that we have never heard about. I have been scared so many times and convinced that I had something bad and the doctors told it was something else. Recently I had a weird 2cm change in the skin near my ear ,it was lumpy ,raised brownish ,I ran to the dermatologist and she said it's an old age spot ,keratosis maybe I don't remember.

In 98 I got something freaky disgusting and wet coming out of my small toe It was there for 1 week it didn't dry ,at the Harlem foot clinic they told me it could be something of 500 different diseases/conditions. After surgical removal they found out it was a benign pyogenic granuloma.

This serves you to understand not to be scared when you find something unusual in your skin or body it's probably harmless.

• Posted

I have had several items removed that I was warned were most likely cancerous but all have turned out to be benign. Your dermatologist is looking at these things all day long and will have good experience and has given you excellent advice so please stop worrying.

Our bodies dont always conform to what the text books say. If they did,then everyone would get an instant diagnosis for every problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.