scary symptoms after health scare on holiday.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience as me and can offer some advice

Around 5 months ago I had a bad experience on a boys holiday in Greece. On the last day after a week of heavy drinking I was feeling very hungover in the hotel lobby when all of a sudden I started feeling as if I was about to pass out, my whole body went into extreme panic and I was shaking and my whole body felt tingly, I thought I was about to die! I was taken by ambulance and treated for dehydration. Ever since this happened I just don't feel right anymore, I constantly have strange head symptoms. 

There are a lot of symptoms which I experience but the worst ones are the horrible head type dizziness and pressures, it never seems to go away and I get lightheaded and feel like I'm about to collapse, it is extremely frightening, I feel like there is something seriously wrong with me. 

I have been to the doctors so many times and keep getting told it is just anxiety after what happened on holiday,  I have had blood work done, eye test done, I have been hooked up to a heart machine and all of these have came back normal. I have been referred for CBT and also to neurology to rule anything else out and put my mind at rest, the doctors keep reassuring me that this is just anxiety but I am starting to find that hard to believe, it is starting to make me feel really sad.

the more time that is going by the more scared I am starting to feel, I sometimes feel like I'm getting a bit worse.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I'm only 18 years old and I just want to feel like my normal self again 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Also, no drugs were taken during the holiday, only alcohol
  • Posted

Have you had any help on dealing with panic attack and triggers?

There are breathing tecniques that may help you. Once U know when your feeling unwell and can deal with it your anxiety will start to get less. 

Knowledge brings confidence. Confidence gives control. 

Good luck, keep positive.

lisa 

• Posted

Yes I have, from a bad experience taking a medication, its kind of post traumatic stress, and it is anxiety I afraid, it can create. All sorts of physical feelings and make your life hell. But you can get better, perhaps just with cbt, or with medication too. I'm on medication and waiting for CBT.

Good luck, let us know how you get on 😊

• Posted

Hi, same thing happened to me on holiday in Thailand 8months ago, I didn't sleep for 3days and had some thai weed, which triggered the first panic attack I experienced in my life, I was also scared I was going to die and was taken to hospital, where they said I was healthy, but I hardly managed to get back to Europe..terryfying experience, it triggerd very horrible physical symtomps I have been batteling since. First it was chest pain, visual disturbences, horrible sensation which I call evil butterflies, night sweats, completly messed up my stomach, ect. I wont bother you which all of them. But my condition has been slowly improving, thanks to my psychiatrist, antideprresants and the therapy. I tell everyone if you have anxeity run, it might feel unconfortable at the start, but I promise you will improve, it burns all the cortisol your body produces in stressful moments. You are only young so there is nothing wrong with you. Anxeity is brutal for people who dont try to manage it. But once you learn how to control it, your life will slowly return to normal. Just be patient, it takes while to fix things, but you can do it smile I wish you good luck, and please dont forget to let everyone know when you improve your condition as many people dont bother to post to forums once they get back to normal, but anxeity suffers need to get all support from those who learned to manage it! xxx
    • Posted

Hi Katerina,

. what an awful experience you went through. You are very right, people need to tell us when they are better, we need lots and lots of hope, because its like fighting for your life with anxiety,and depression.

May I ask what your psychiatrist did, and did you have cbt too? What antidepressants were or are you on? How long was it untill you recovered?

Many thanks lattifa x

• Posted

No problem, I dont mind smile I was using Tritticco as a first medication, took very long to kick in (I am not sure if ever did lol) I improved to the point where I went from severe anxeity to 0 level anxeity after 6 weeks, to be fair I think it was thanks to running and playing volleyball...:D I was ok for two weeks so stopped running, excercising and slipt into old bad habits. So no surprise I had a setback (while I was still on the same medication), I return to the UK ( I am Czech btw) to shoot a wedding, it was very long journey as the flight was very delayed and I managed to get to bed very late, woke up after 3hrs and did the whole day shoot, drunk tones of coffee and the anxeity came back after couple of hours I finished the wedding. Yep that tought me a lesson: sleep is supper important and I only drink coffee occassionaly. The anxeity wasnt as bad as first time tho, but caused me a bowel problems yuk!! So my doctor put on on Prothiaden, an old TCA, which suppose to help with IBS, it reduced my anxeity to almost 0 but didnt help my stomach sad, but at the same time as I started taking the new medication I've began  running again so not sure...if its the pills or me doing the job lol smile maybe both ..currently doing something like 6miles 4-5times a week, I changed medication once again to try reduce stomach problems with Lerivon but I cant see any difference from Prothiaden. And here I am today quite happy, dont get me wrong I still feel it but when it comes I just do what I normal do or treat myslef nicely with sauna or swimming and anxeity gets bored of it after little while and goes away. I am doing psychotherapy every week, I like my therapist but to be fair you must do the work yourself. You deep inside know how to change the negative thoughts and its just a bullsh*t what our mind is creating :D
    • Posted

Thank you Katerina, I appreciate your feed back, it totally is BS, what our mind creates, do you get anxiety about anything in particular? Like health or fear of going mad, or is it just out the blue? Mine is mainly thinking ill go mad, then I start thinking I'm hearing things no one else can, but its never true! Very strange indeed. I hope this will get less the longer I'm on meds, nearly 4 weeks now, so god willing xxx
  • Posted

Exactly the same experiance went on holiday in june for my hen do was hungover the next day and never been right since constant dizzy pressure stabbin shootin in my head wouldnt say painful just scary , docs sed anxiety had my eyes tested there fine , its 5 months on and some days are better than others ive bin drink actimel daily its got vit b and d dont no if its coincidence but feel slightly better since i started drinkin them worth a go .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.