Scary symptoms. Anxiety and derealization?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had crippling anxiety for almost a year now. I've struggled with all sorts of symptoms from panic attacks to health anxiety to intrusive thoughts. Now I'm dealing with something that really scares me that my therapist doesn't seem to understand besides just generalizing it to anxiety, but i feel like I'm losing it. I was sitting watching tv a couple days ago and suddenly became hyperaware of what the characters were saying and how I was processing what they were saying. I had a severe panic attack after after this, convinced that I was finally losing it and would probably have to be admitted to the hospital. Since then I feel like I went through a traumatic even and when I have to listen to people talking it makes me cringe and my body tense up. I feel so anxious listening to people talk because I am so hyperaware of what they are saying and what they sound like and processing every word. It's hard to explain, but I almost feel like I am listening to myself listen to the outside world. Like there is a delay and it's being doubly processed. I had a hard time explaining this to my therapist, but I am hoping someone will understand and tell me I'm not alone.

I'm going to start taking klonopin again short term to see if it helps with this at all. It's been going on for a couple days now.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hyperawareness is a common symptom of anxiety.  When we get into that fight or flight mode, your brain sort of ignores everything so that we can really focus on the 'threat'.  Anxiety is the perception of a threat that isn't actually there.   Next time you have an experience like that, try some of the basic tactics : Deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, mindful meditation, etc.

• Posted

I exactly know how you feel - your right it is hard to explain- but how you've explained it is spot on - ive been through a traumatic time recently and I just feel detached 24/7 - I've been told this feeling is our bodies way of protecting us - I hate the feeling I feel like I'm losing my mind - but it is through anxiety - I've been told to do relaxing exercises - breathing and mindfulness - but your right what u say about when ur having a conversation I do feel that way as well - so it not alone !!

• Posted

We're you smoking marijuana? Just asking bc your symptoms sound like a bad trip I had from smoking weed.

• Posted

I've heard that too - but I've got this derealisation and I've never smoked weed - it's fed anxiety related -

• Posted

it should read definitely anxiety related
  • Posted

Rachel, keep seeing a counselor but in the meantime,  you can go to YouTube and listen to audio meditations to help with what you're going through. Anxiety can definitely bring on  The symptoms you have.    Hyper awareness is a classic anxiety symptom and I have experienced it. You're not going crazy! You just need to learn how to calm down your brain because all anxiety originates there. Search YouTube for meditations on  anxiety, Guided mindfulness meditation's, detachment from overthinking,. Etc There are many to choose from. I use earbuds and laydown to listen.

I do this a couple times a day especially when going to sleep. I think they could really help you.  They teach us how to separate anxiety and negative thinking from ourselves. Other things that helped me a lot include: 

getting regular exercise. This releases good hormone in the brain to help calm you down. Also staying active and socializing. Being isolated makes everything worse. Eat healthy  . But the main thing for you right now is to calm everything down. When you are  anxious, the brain thinks you are in danger so it sends out a hormone called adrenaline to protect you. Adrenaline can  make your heart race, breathing faster, and can also give you funny sensations in your head.  The symptoms can make a person feel more anxious. So basically your mind and brain are anxious and that's why you're experiencing the hyper awareness. This cannot hurt you! Feels weird, you think somethings wrong, etc. but symptoms of anxiety are harmless to your health.

we cannot let fear and anxiety take us over! So we need to be relentless in our goal of feeling better. It does take time but if you keep at it eventually everything will calm down. Don't  get discouraged if one day you feel great and the next you don't. It can be a yo-yo for sometime, but eventually calming yourself down and getting rid of anxiety will come much easier. So, see the counselor regularly, do the meditations  and don't forget to laugh and smile even when you're not feeling your best. It is healing to the brain.  Remember, you are not losing it! This is merely your  Brain being over anxious combined with the actions of adrenaline.  

Goal: Calm down the brain!

Hang in there! 

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered chronic derealization for three years since my father passed away

I had chronic anxiety for three years after he was diagnosed then for thelast three years after he passed away.

It feels like I am awake but living in a dream,I feel detatched from my real emotion and reality.

I am currently off work, on meds and staryed seeing a psycotherapist last week.. She said the depersonalization is the brains reaction to loss and anxiety overload.

I feel really low at the moment I cant see an end to this...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.