Schizoaffective disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm Michael I was diagnosed 7 years ago with schizoaffective disorder after a severe breakdown. I have been on various medications, but just seem to think they all make me feel the same once kicked in. Sluggish increased appetite low mood life not worth living disturbing thoughts ect. The worst thing about it is, I'm on the medications to start with as I become hyper and psychotic. So the medications keep me stable which professionals say is a must. But as I said, I get all the above side affects. Does anyone have any more info on this please feel free to let me know always looking for more insight. Also interested in how others cope with mental health in general or similar diagnosis. It's been a sad few years for me. As before all this used to be very fit play football enjoy life ect.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey u not alone..as im reducing Seroxat now..my body out my control like it’s reacting all the symptoms but the more I go on this drug makes me feel miserable...what u need is therapy’s psychologist and don’t relay on the medication..I am regret took it at first place..trust me
  • Posted

Hi Michael, I too have schizoaffective disorder. I am on aripiprazole and find this a better antipsychotic. I was on risperdone previously, and felt like a zombie. I have been back at work for over two years after going through psychosis for 4 months and hospitalized. I have good support at work and at home. Maybe you need to change your meds or lower your dose.
    • Posted

Thanks Louise, O I'm glad it's worked out for you, I have been trying to work also, but get so many up and down days it's difficult. I did try aripiprazole maybe I did not give it enough time. What dose did they start you on. I'm now on 100 mg of paliperidone but will have a lower injection tomorrow of 75mg. Yes I think support needs to be good. Sorry to hear about your phychosis I also have been hospitalised a few times now it's not nice. Feel free to chat anytime thanks Michael.

• Posted

Hi Michael, thanks for replying. I started at 15mg of aripiprazole and went up to 30mg. After a year I went down to 15mg. This antipsychotic works for me and definitely better than the risperdone I was on. I have down days too and miss being med free, but I can't risk getting ill again. I find work helps me and keeps me busy. I was off work for a year last time I was hospitalized and hated it. Hang in there is a tough illness and the meds are rough too. A lower dose is better for me, but enough to keep me well. Good luck Lou

• Posted

Thanks Louise, it's nice to speak to someone positive, as I have been very negative towards this illness for a while now. As I keep telling myself I have not got this illness, and I too would love to be off meds again, unfortunately I do to also become unwell. I have tried a few times and great first 3 to 6 months, but then suddenly crashes down on me I'm ill and back in hospital again. You are right tho I believe work helps and getting outdoors. As sometimes I do not go out and can be very depressed and anxious. Keep it up stay positive we'll done

• Posted

Hey Michael, is really hard, have had this for years and the last 7 years have been tough on the meds and the depression, but am doing well now and just keep busy and seeing friends and working. Keep at it and notice the good stuff going on. I miss being manic and talkative, but would rather be well. You can still enjoy life, just at a healthy level. When I was recovering I would go out walking with my friend and visit for coffee and company. Is a long haul but it can get better. Just living at a different pace, but it's better than hospital. All the best Lou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.