Sciatic nerve damage

Posted , 8 users are following.

i too have had nerve damage directly following THR. I am due an exploratory op in 2 weeks on my right bottom cheek to find out if nerve has been compressed or overstretched & hopefully put right but told no gntees. 

I have to say I was devastated to see my right foot was pointing down & turned inwards when I came round from hip op a year ago. Also recognise all the painful symptoms. Those electric shock pains started approx 4 weeks after op only 2 hours sleep at 2/3 hourly intervals I didn’t think I would be able to live with it but it gradually settled down to numb & tingling down right side of lower leg & foot. Sometimes lately have had shooting pains in ankle and toes but still no luck in lifting ankle & toes upwards.  I have had EEG eventually and told it probably will come back with a great deal of exercise & physio.

I have had my automatic car adapted so that I can drive with my left foot after taking a couple of lessons to control pressure on pedals etc so I feel I have some independence. I still walk with a ridiculous gait and limp but try to aim in getting steps up each day to strengthen. I am hoping next op will be of some help and hopefully not make situation worse!  I had no idea this could happen and obviously signed off with out reading the paper thoroughly beforehand. Lesson learned!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Margaret

How terribly disappointing for you. Would you like to tell us what approach was used and the name if your surgeon and hospital

Best wishes for the future. Richard

• Posted

I too knew nothing about sciatic nerve damage. Mine does not effect my walking or ability to do required exercises. It just hurts. Have difficulty sleeping. Do in short intervals. Today is my follow up check up,6.5 post op.

i’m hoping To learn something,wether it be exercises or massages as heating pad on back and ice on incision site helps. And the all important question,will it improve and go away over time.

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op and continue with nerve damage from the knee down following my RTH anterior style.  And the area behind my thigh and incision is numb.   I am trying to get a MR neurography done which is a modified MRI that shows the nerves and will tell us what is damaged and how to proceed.  Of course the insurance keeps denying it.  My R foot of course takes the brunt of it since it is the furtherest away.  The bottom of my foot is totally numb, but the electrical shooting pains inside my foot are awful.  I am on Lyrica which helps some.  I have had minimal feelings come back in my foot, and they come back like I have been beaten up in that area.  The neurologist of course was ecstatic that in 8 weeks I have some feeling back, me not so much!  He said it will "just take time" to heal.  My surgeon of course said "not my fault"!  I'm not blaming the surgeon, because this is something that can happen during surgery, but I thought it was very rude and childish to say that.  

• Posted

Yes no one is blaming anyone,just wanting a solution. I had my check up yesterday. 6.5 weeks post op.  Everything looks good. I need to take pain meds to have get a good nights sleep. I’m to continue all the laying down exercises and the standing up exercises that I’ve been doing since surgery. I am to add a muscle strengthing exercise. I’m to lay on my nonoperated leg and lift operated leg toward ceiling. 10 times 3 times daily. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.