Scotland referrals

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was wondering how long do you have to wait if your doctor made an urgent referral for you in Scotland for a Total Hip Replacement

Thanks

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think it can depend where you are having it done. There have been some unbelievably long waiting times on this board for Scotland but hopefully things are improving. I read recently that the Victoria Hospital in Kircaldy is now doing one day surgery. They are using an anaesthetic that just affects areas around the hip rather than a full spinal. That might improve waiting times.

• Posted

Hi Billy

I had a THR 4 months ago. I was referred in Aug 2017, saw the consultant in May 2018, eventually had my operation 10th October 2018.

I'm in Lothian but i don't know much about an urgent referral but i do know the wait is a long one for non urgent.

I hope you don't have too long to wait as it began to get me down and i struggled so much with the severe pain.

Best Wishes

Linda

• Posted

many thanks Linda i know the feeling well

• Posted

I have been put on the NHS Tayside waiting list again they say 20 - 30 weeks

• Posted

Thats good, hope its not as long as that.

I'm back on the waiting list for my other hip. Been told it could be early 2020 before i have my surgery.

I think the waiting times are increasing.

• Posted

Lal1957 , where are you at , I could well be early 2020 as well

• Posted

I'm on the list to see my consultant.

I am in Lothian and i was very pleased with my first hip replacement so I am hoping to have the same surgeon at Edinburgh royal infirmary.

Waiting times are getting worse.

• Posted

I agree that the waiting times are going crazy my gp said its 2 hips i need so hopefully soon and both at once don't want to go through this again

• Posted

My consultant wouldn't operate on both at the same time but that was more to do with the fact that i live alone than anything else. i did have help for the first few weeks and I needed it.

Hope it all gets sorted for us both soon.

• Posted

i called my gp and asked for a referral anywhere in Scotland because i was told i have to wait 30 weeks before i get a date to see the consultant but the doctor said he put in an urgent referral not sure if I can go that long

• Posted

I was counting it out I got my xray done around about 10 December , got a letter to make a non urgent appointment so i saw him 3 weeks ago where i was told it was very bad and he would referrer me

I contacted the hospital where i asked who my consultant was and they said that I had not been allocated one yet .

I thought that the doctor had to write to a specific consultant.

The hospital then said it would be 26 - 30 weeks until I get an out patient appointment, then up to 12 weeks after that for an op.

I have to give a blood test on Friday and am going to tell them to cancel my referral , if they think an urgent appointment is 42 weeks , then i will just put up with the pain killers and they can give my appointment to someone who needs it .

Thank you NHS Scotland

• Posted

here is an update , i have been on the waiting list now for 15 weeks and have been told still 12 weeks to go

The hospital has had another letter from my surgery saying i should be seen sooner rather than later

Heading towards Morphine for the pain so my options are running out fast

• Posted

Here is the interesting part

2 weeks ago I had been on the waiting list for 14 weeks and the waiting time was 26 weeks so I counted it out

that I had 12 weeks to wait which took me up to August 5th a long time when in as much pain as I am in.

I was told that the consultant was looking at my case too see if it is urgent.

Then came the fact I have now been on the waiting list for 16 weeks which is correct with the telephone call 2 weeks ago but the waiting list is now up to 38 weeks

so I have been on the waiting list 16 weeks but 3 months has been added on to my waiting time so in 2 weeks i have lost 10 weeks

How does this work?

• Posted

I was nearly a year from start to finish,I have a friend who has had his op canceled twice now hopefully it will go ahead the third time witch us the 14th if Feb.. we are in Glasgow.

• Posted

Hi All,

Yes I am still waiting 18 weeks on the list and still 20 weeks to go.

It is more like the hospital is punishing me for my reporting them to the ombudsman and complaining.

After 3 urgent referrals and a request from a Nurse Practitioner that I should be seen sooner rather than later but despite this and letters from MSp's and MP's , they are still ignoring me

I found out that some referrals are being given an appointment with a consultant 10 weeks from the referral .. That means that I have been on the list 8 weeks longer than them and they are being seen 20 weeks earlier than me . This is my Punishment from the NHS

On a positive note I have stopped all pain killers and went to CBD Oil which has made my life amazing , although I still feel discomfort in my hips but the pain is less a lot less.

On Monday I am going to asked to be referred to occupational therapy because the toilet is becoming difficult , I am also going to ask for an x-ray on my other hip which is giving me more problems

as usual any comments or questions are welcome

• Posted

Hello Billy

Cannot believe that you are still waiting. Have you tried phoning hospital, even surgeon's secretary???

But maybe when you get referred onto OT, they may be able to get you sorted sooner. And it should not be down to complaining, as we all have the right to.

Hope that you get sorted soon.

Ann

• Posted

Hi PierinaAnn

yes still waiting , have involved the Ombudsman to try and resolve it , I know for sure that my left hip which was the good one has got worse.

I am also thinking about claiming medical negligence as with the suffering they know I am going through I recon it will be about next February until it happens for me

as a precaution to them messing up my surgery I have a letter written to my solicitor and my wife has a copy just in case not in pain thanks to the cbd oil but still feeling of discomfort

No chance of getting to the surgeon or his secretary as they have a marker against my name for all my complaining and trouble i have caused

• Posted

Lol and I have only been waiting about 17 years 18 weeks since I first went to the doc with a right hip problem. If nothing else ,could be heading for some sort of record lol

• Posted

hi Billy. sorry you're still waiting. I saw my Gp end of dec for xray then saw consultant at my local hospital -Derby think it was first week in Feb. gog told between 16-20 week wait even tho I was urgent and using crutches to walk and reduce pain. anyway got date a fes weeks ago for June 6th which I thought was gd. then on 20/5 had my pre OP assessment. got rang on the 22/5 for a cancellation the next day even tho it was a rush and I'd not 100% sorted out my house ( live alone) I went for it and 8 days later all I can say it's so worth it having the OP.

you must be a pain to get your OP. asap. for a start your hips wont be getting better whilst you wait . my experience of folk who complain abt the NHS usually spurs things on not the other way.

I'm glad your oil is helping tho. and truly hope you dont have t o wait much longer

• Posted

Thanks Julie

Complaints here seems to make it a longer wait

I did ask about a cancellation which funnily enough a Local councilor got , very quickly and before the op they were able to walk over the beach with a dog no problem, while for me work is a real struggle and the rest of the time I am housebound

• Posted

hmm to be honest I do think some seem to get the OP way easier and earlier than others. cant say this in my case as I didn't present to drs till dec by which time I could hardly walk besides the pain. so I know that bits my fault but I was surprised at the pre clearing how most were very mobile - I was the only one using crutches . but the nurses realised how much pain I was in walking and got me a wheelchair for which I got glared at by others lol.

as for the councillor and cancellation my lips are sealed. but def worth going for it if you can.

the nurses all sd to me after ( cos I was amazed at how pain free in comparison I've been ) that those who have the most pain are the ones who benefit the most post OP. and I can believe that.

any pain I'm getting atm is thigh muscle pain if I've done too much - realised trying to Hoover 5 days post OP waxnt a good idea lol - but that generally settles with ibuprofen .I'm taking codeine and paracetamol atm as well but hoping to tail off the codeine next week but as we all get told I'll only do it if I feel I can. being pain free and walking is my main aim atm no matter what meds i need 😃

• Posted

Have you heard from the Ombudsman? It would be a great help if the could give a recommendation.

• Posted

No , should be hearing this week , again the main concern is reprisals from the NHS , anything could happen during surgery

• Posted

I don't think any surgeon would do a bad job during surgery. I know we criticise them but they have agreed to the Hypocratic oath and would want to do a professional job. Also they don't want to be sued.

• Posted

honestly when a consultant says you would die on the table or a hip replacement would make no difference to my quality of life and I would just be the same as I am at the moment , Its going to take a good surgeon to convince me that it wont happen , I already have letters in place with several people and a legal company to cover myself

I dont think they would be worried about being sued , and if you look at my post about waiting times there are people who were referred 10 weeks ago seeing a consultant next week.

This week I will have been on the list 19 weeks and still have 20 weeks to wait and there are more than them.

If the hospital is not a receiving hospital for accidents etc but for routine surgery how can I keep going back down the list , All accidents for broken limbs etc are performed in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary , so I have been told although this could be wrong .

• Posted

hi Billy I wish you could change surgeons to one who understands how bad hip pain is. fancy tallying you you could die on the table or make no difference having the OP. either way he /she needs to smarten up their techniques imo. for information only any surgical death within a year (England) has to be reported to the coroner and I assume similar arrangement in Scotland. most drs are or should be scared stiff of coroners courts.

I really feel for all of you having to wait so long for treatment

• Posted

There is NO WAY that a surgeon would want to have a patient dying on the operating table, that is mega bad news. Also they hate legal cases, it means they have to spend time with lawyers and could cost a large amount of money, not to mention it could radically affect their job.

• Posted

Hi

Going back to the doctors tomorrow as my other hip is going out beneath me and I am going to as for more x rays

I am also going to ask for a face to face with occupational health as now struggling to go to the toilet which I guess you have all experienced.

It is now in my mind to take legal action against the NHS , but should have a reply from the Ombudsman this coming week

• Posted

glad you're going back to the Dr.

the OT should be able to help .I bought raised toilet seats ( they do them 2" or 4" depends how tall you are) which helped loads. but as part of my pre OP assessment we had to see the OT who ordered and sent me frames for around the loo which help enormously to get yourself up off a lower area. she also sent me a wheeled trolley which post OP has been gt so far - to put my bits on but also to transfer hot food etc from the kitchen and clothes from the washer to the tumble dryer( her idea).

I realise talking to others this help from the OT seems to vary from area to area and hospital to hospital so I know I'm lucky. all they loan you is free you just have to ring them to collect it when you've do e with it .

all you've experienced is massively post code lottery or in your case Scotland v England. it's really appalling in my eyes how it varies so much. agree once you've had a reply from the ombudsman how you next proceed should help you.

but in all this I wish you well re your hips .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.