Seasonal Affective Disorder and dizziness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello there,

I am currently being treated for OCD and depression. However, I have realised that my lows happy every december, consistently for the past 3 years. I believe that I maybe suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

However, one of my main physiological symptoms of low mood is extreme dizziness.

My question is, does this sound familiar to anyone? Has anyone experienced this? The dizziness kicks in every December, which makes for rotten christmases.

Thank you in advance for your comments and I wish you all a happy, healthy new year.

Jennifer

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, there...

There is a very real possibility that you could be suffering from some seasonal depression. Something very similar happens to me during the month of January, as well as during the end of summer in August -- obviously two different times of the year. For me, I've found a link between the depressive mood changes and major, somewhat significant events in my life -- the loss of a son, and anniversaries around that loss. It took years for me to make the connection, and I still have trouble remembering that the time can be problematic. I, actually, started setting an alert in my phone to remind me to take a look at how I'm feeling, and start a little self-care.

It can be very difficult to pinpoint the emotional reasons behind physical manifestations. I get the dizziness, as well. Stress and depression can do that. Of course, you want to rule out any possible medical reasons, but for me it has always been a little comforting just knowing that I'm not alone in my symptoms.

I hope you find answers that comfort and reassure you.

All the best,

Shawn

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Shawn. you've raised some interesting points and I can trace my moods to traumas that have occurred during these months. I should take a page out of your book and make more of an effort to check in with myself. My dizziness usually subsides by the spring, but with understanding prehaps I can gain more control.

Jennifer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.