Second flare up in 3 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I had to see a doctor as an urgent appointment today having had severe pain in lower left abdomen for around 3 days now. Only finished a course of Metranidazole recently and although I was still sore, I thought the flare up was over.

I've been in bed 2 days as moving about is both exhausting and pain makes me feel nauseous. This time I've been given Co-Amoxiclav and after taking first dose, I feel slightly better. This condition is so scary as when you get a flare up, you literally have to rest. Doctor said if the pain gets worse or antibiotics don't improve things, then it's a matter for hospital. What do people think are best fibre supplements? At present, I don't take anything. Thanks x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Quite honestly I would stick with a liquid or low residue diet for a day or two, then go low fibre and work up to normal as you begin to feel better.
  • Posted

I'm new to this myself' as the lady says i would stick Diet. if it gets worse you must go to hospital

• Posted

At the moment liquid only untill pain is gone and then just soup and plain food and lots and lots of water
  • Posted

I agree with the others that you should stick to liquid only and no fibre whilst you are in a flare up.  Then slowly introduce small amounts of easily digestible food like soup, yogurt.  As for fibre supplements, it depends where you live.  I am UK based and my GP prescribes Fybogel, which is orange flavoured psyllium husk powder which you mix with a large glass of water and get down quickly before it starts to thicken and turn into slime.  It will bulk and soften your stool and make it easier to pass.  I take it twice a day.  Others take is once a day.  In the USA the brand name is Metamucil.  It works for me but not for everyone, for example others who have additional bowel problems.  I do not take it whilst on medication, but wait until the flare subsides.  Best wishes for a quick recovery
    • Posted

Hi Felinia, thanks for your reply.I'm in UK too and once I've recovered from this flare up, I will get myself some Fybogel. Just having clear fluids currently and going to start recording a food diary just to monitor things in case of another flare up. I've recently had a bereavement and think that's why I'm having this current one. Best wishes for good health xx

• Posted

You cannot take fiber supplements while you have diverticulitis and must be on a low residue (fiber) diet until the colon is healed, usually takes a few weeks, in my case 5 weeks then slowly introduce fiber back into the system.
  • Posted

Actually, I have tried to eliminate or eat very little insoluble fiber as I honestly believe it has caused flares.  Soluble fiber doesn't seem to cause any problems.  However, upon the advice of my gastro doc, I take a dose of Miralax everyday.  I have been flare free and pain free for over a year.  May not work for everyone as we are all different, but it works beautifully for me. 

• Posted

I had no idea I had a condition until Jan 2nd this year when I was rushed to hospital where I stayed for 17 days. So I'm very new and learning about the condition... However I have learnt that with a flare up you switch to fluid only then moving to a low residue diet...This week I have just started to introduce fibre back into my diet and will have to wait and see what develops in the future...I have read lots of advice ...I've started a food diary in the hope that if I have a flare up I can try to detect what triggers it .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.