Second knee done, home today

Posted , 11 users are following.

all done, my left knee has been totally different experience.  Home after 4 days, pain manageable.  Let's hope it stays that way, I know it's a hard slog but it was amazing to wake up from the op with just a dull ache instead of that roaring pain I had last time.  The anaesthetist gave me something before the op to switch off the pain receptors in the knee and a local when it was finished.  I've been so much better so far. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wonderful news Elaine! Happy Happy Happy for you!!

Healing thoughts for a speedy recovery!!!

• Posted

Hi Elaine!

SO Happy to hear you are home and all went well for you!

I sure know what you mean about ROARING pain! It IS wonderful to have THAT gone!

Keep us posted on your progress! It helps us all to hear GOOD NEWS!💗

• Posted

Hi, I'm new to this group and due to have my first tkr on 1st March, left knee, but your post is related to a concern I've got, so hope you don't mind me asking - BOTH knees are very bad (it was a toss up which knee to get done first) and I've not been able to do stairs or kneel for many years and have been limited what I can do all that time.  I'm worried that my lack of capability in the leg that isn't being operated on yet (hoping for that four months after the first one) will hinder me with recovery for the first op.  I'm worried about how I can get up with only using the non-operated leg etc. because that gives way sometimes.  I do my best with exercise - most days using the treadmill walking slowly and leaning on the arms, and also using a recumbent bike.  I guess this is a common problem though?  I apologise if I should have started a new discussion on this - just not sure how to go about it and since you've just had your second knee done, you've obviously faced this problem.

• Posted

Hi Chris.  I had 2wonky knees and had to choose which was the worse one to get done first of all.  Afterwards you can't get about much and it won't make much difference to your recovery of the first knee as it'll be at least 4 months to be properly mobile. Stairs you can do with crutches and you'll never be able to kneel again as they don't recommend it but that's a small price to pay.  Your physiotherapist will give you exercises for the recovery knee and probably be some strengthening for the old knee. Stretches are good. This is a godsend forum and any time you are worried just ask they are a lovely bunch on here and helped me no end with th first one.  Good luck for your op. Let us know how it goes xx

• Posted

It's so lovely hearing how well you're doing Elaine:-))))  You are a real encouragement:-))))  Counting days off now, to 1st March:-))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.