Second thr

Posted , 7 users are following.

facing my 2nd hip replacement in feb. anyone else any tips or advice

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

having my second on TUESDAY and for some reason am more scared this time. am organised but just panicking which i know is silly .

what date and where??

• Posted

Hi Jacqui.

Just remember to keep up with your exercises and pain relief. Also that with pain relief comes constipation (not a nice subject!) so you may need something for that and drink plenty of fluids!!!

Take each day slowly and dont rush things. Your body has gone through something major, even though techniques are always advancing!! Only try something when you feel confident and comfortable to do so. Don't be afraid to ask for help as you will need it. Wishing you all the best. Let me know if I can be of further help! xx

• Posted

thank you. yeah the pain relief i am on causes constipation which has resulted in me getting diverticulitus which is awful. i now only take half the amount. thanks again

• Posted

i didnt think the lactulose worked for me so deffo go for the 'slimatea' tea bags just before bedtimei had both mine done at the same time so good i dont have to think about it again have to say constipation was annoying but only suffered for a few weeks x

• Posted

I had my 1st one nearly 12 years ago, the day before I was 36 and I was in soooo much pain. My 2nd one was just over a year ago (day after boxing day)! The pain was half of what of what I had before. I was only in hospital for 2 & 1/2 days as opposed to a week with 1st hip op! Obviously techniques have advanced and this time round, I was out of bed about 10-12 hours afterwards but very wobbly! The nurse had to bring the commode out to me!!

• Posted

I had my 2nd hip replacement left Feb 2018 12 weeks after my first hip replacement on the right hip.

It was so worth it you feel frightened because it all starts again the operation some pain crutches staples out ect.

But believe me you will feel like a new person no pills no pain and your life back who could ask for more x

• Posted

There's a chance you were equally terrified the first time ... it's just that you've forgotten or you thought this one would be easier.

Hang in there ... Don't be afraid to talk to the surgeon's nurse ... sometimes just a few comforting words are good ... Surgeons are sometimes gruff ... but they tend, in my experience, to hire nurses with really good people skills--for occasions just like this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.