Second TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I wonder if anyone is at the stage I am. I had my first TKR in April this year. I saw my consultant in August and he said I now need to have the other knee done. I was going on holiday in September so he said he would be in touch when I got back and would probably have me in in October. I spend every day waiting for a phone call. I think the waiting is now getting me down. I cant plan anything.Just want it over and done with. 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi Joan I just had my second total me on Thursday of last week my first total knee was August 4th of this year I feel pretty good it's a lot different than my first knee which I'm happy for I would definitely give your doctor a call hopefully you can get in before the weather starts to get too bad and it gets dangerous out and icy
    • Posted

hi Cindy, Thats quick isnt it? How are you managing.? My new knee still painful but my other knee is terrible. Think its because its taken all the strain. Am going to give it until the end of this week and then going to ring up to find out. Thanks for replying. 
    • Posted

Hi Joan, I had to wait quite a time for my op and had it postponed once. I found they were very helpful at the hospital when I rang though and it's a good idea to remind them you're waiting. I'd give them a ring if I were you. Hope you don't have to wait too long. Jen 
    • Posted

cindy ... OMG.  i feel ill.  no idea how you do it.  5 weeks today and i am a long, long way from going in for my second one.  i applaud your courage.  well done!
    • Posted

hi Joan it is very hard only being 2 months apart my so called good knee at the time was still hurting a lot after I had my first one and it couldn't take the pressure of being the only good one so I had to have it done my second one is a whole different experience it hurts more than my first one did but it doesn't feel as tight as my first one does its very hard I still have to work the first one a lot I think it's getting a little bit behind but I hope in 2 or 3 weeks when I get back on my bike good luck to you its very very hard but I think it'll be worth it in the end
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, Yes my good knee is now my bad knee. I dont think it does any good having to take all the pressure so I think you were right to get yours done so quickly. I am now walking like I was befor the op but with just one knee painful. Cant wait to get it done. Thanks for the good luck wishes. x .
  • Posted

I am having the same issue had my tkr in June not have to have other one done trying to hold off till next winter some days can't even put any weight on it

• Posted

oh jacky, that doesn't sound good. are you still on medication? not for the operated knee, the other one? my surgeon explained to me, that if this happened, we would need to do the second one sharpish. what ends up happening is you put too much weight on the freshly operated joint and the risks are it will wear down faster or go wonky. i don't want to scare you or anything, just cautioning you not to wait too long. and honestly, you can't really enjoy life like this, or? good luck!
  • Posted

How are you after your1st  op.... I'm only 7 weeks on and struggling..  good luck for your next one.

• Posted

From what I'm reading so many of your docs keeping saying "you need" to have the other one done etc......do they ever say, hold off, do you all really NEED to have them done? My right knee is a problem, but I "need" to keep managing as the thought of a replacement send me out of sight in fear and agony. The hip replacement I went thru was a nightmare for a few years and I think it's OK all in all, but nerve and tissue damage and shorter leg issue...good grief....
    • Posted

I know it's only been 8 weeks since I had my TKR.. but I don't think I could go through this again... its been a very hard painful 8 weeks.... 
    • Posted

I have some trouble with my other knee and other hip but, like you, the thought of another op fills me with dread! The other leg is nowhere near as bad as my operated leg was before the op though so I know I can manage for a good while yet. If I was like you though, Joan, and struggling to walk with the "good" leg it would be different I'm sure. I don't envy you but I'm sure you will know whether to go ahead and think long and hard of the consequences now you've been through it once. Good luck.

Jen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.