Second tkr

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone I have been put on the list to have my other knee done people have told me it's a lot easier the second time I was in so much pain with the first knee I am terrified but dr said if I don't have it done I would most definitely end up in a wheelchair so really I have no opinion just wondering if any of you have had a second one done and if it's easy to get over than the first one xx

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cath!

I had my first done in June and my second done in October.

You never know how things will go, so I was just hoping things would go better with #2.

I was very pleasantly surprised that #2 went very well! Minimal swelling and much better mobility even while in the recovery room.

Wishing you success with #2!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Aww thankyou Chery I no myself it wants doing but had such a bad time with the first one I'm really terrified but now I feel the benefit of having the first one done I just keep telling myself it's much better than being in a wheelchair x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That is FOR SURE, and the reality is that MANY with terrible arthritis DO need to have assistance. My mother-in-law has Rheumatoid arthritis. She is 87. She was told that her health wasn't good enough to be a candidate for KNEE and/ or hip replacements. She did not persue it. That was about 10 years ago. Last year she fell getting her mail and ended up outside on her porch in -10 weather. Her body temp was 87° when they found her. They think she had a stroke, she hit her head when she fell, she had anemia, a UTI and pneumonia. She had talked to us the day before and never mentioned feeling anything but good.

She has since been diagnosed with Dementia. She's in a nursing home near us and requires full care 24/7. We realized that she had become very good at hiding MANY issues from us, her neighbors, and her own sister-in-law.

I will always wonder if we had jumped in and taken the lead a number of years ago whether she MIGHT have had a better

quality of life NOW. We will never know. Each of us have our own ways of running our own life.

Maybe things would have played out exactly the same way. Rheumatoid arthritis is a rough one! She's getting good care, and we visit her every day. The Dementia has taken quite a toll on her, though.

Any kind of illness or disease is difficult to deal with. You take your chances with surgery, too!

Wishing you all the best no matter what you decide for #2.

Take care! Let us know how things go for you!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Chery that's so sad and I'm so sorry for you all my prayers go out to you all it's true we do tend to hide things from our children guess it's a generation thing I no my son's always saying mum are you okay of course I am I tell them but my god at times I just sit and cry with the pain my hubby is so good with me but he's just been diagnosed with ephcimea and cpod so he's not too well at the minute I will let you know when they send for me Thankyou for your kind words hope you're mother inlaw gets better soon x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers. Yes, it is very sad. She has had nine "good" days in the last 14 months where she has been aware of us and her world. Those days were WONDERFUL because the mom, mother-in-law, Grandma and Great-Grandma we know came back on those days! We could talk and laugh and look at photos and even have her talk to some good friends and neighbors on the phone.

Fortunately she is not in pain and has been physically so much better than when she was living on her own. She recently contracted Shingles, so she's in isolation at her Nursing Home. We have had Chickenpox, so we can visit her anytime.

So sorry to hear that your husband has breathing issues. A diagnosis will hopefully get him headed toward the best treatment possible.

Sending prayers of calm, clarify and strength your way tonight.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hiya

I don't want to rain on your parade but my second knee recovery has been far worse than my first...and still is after having it opened again after a year (6 months ago).  My problem is not being able to straighten it.

Every knee is different.  The second time around, you know what to expect but you do forget the intense pain.

I'm just o e of the unlucky ones, unfortunately.

Keep thinking positively and you're half way there.

Hope it goes well for you.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up