seized up back

Posted , 13 users are following.

This is The 3rd time my back has seized up completely.i can hardly move, walk etc.the pain is intense and debdebilitating and I'm at my wits end . I've had an mri scan which showed wear and tear and a nerve being slightly touched causing pains down legs.i live with back ache daily but have adapted life around it, but this time it seized up,2 days ago, it came from no where . I'm bedbound with my poor husband doing everything. I'm on cocodomol, naproxen and diazepam just for a week to help with spasms . I'm so depressed and would love to know there is someone who can identify with me and have any ideas how to cope better with all this.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Nixxy, 

I can identify with you as I have suffered back pain due to osteoarthritis for 19 years since the age of 40. I also get spasms and it Is very debilitating. I take Naproxen and also take Gaperpentin and Nefopam for other arthritis I have had since the age of 11. Coedine helps me sleep at night. As like yourself I have adapted my life stlye around my pain and disability, thou I am In pain most of the time. I do find that gentle exercise such as stretching the spine helps. I lie on my bed and bring my knees up till I can feel the bottom of my spine stretch. Also lie on your front and with your hands on the bed pull yourself up from the shoulders till your spine Is stretched and your almost half way up off the bed. Do this when your spineal spasms ease. I live alone so I have to carry on as usual. 

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm 47 years old and have no idea how I would cope without my husband.we have a labrador who beeds twice daily walks and there is no way I could even put on a pair of shoes!so, I have great respect for you being on your own.

when you get spasms does it leave you completely bed bound?

• Posted

Hello Nixxy, I am so sorry to hear how badly you are suffering. I depend very heavily on gabapentin. It's brilliant. I have had serious bad problems for over 20 years and found osteopathy very helpful, but I'm lucky enough to live within striking distance of the British School of Osteopathy where I could get treatment very cheaply. There might be a school near you. I recently had a spinal injection which has worked second time around. Good luck, hang in there

D

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply.i have never heard of gabapentin, but will now research it . Thank goodness for an ipad whilst confined to bed.i have tried various physios but just makes it worse.

I look to the future with sheer dread, at 47 is this how the rest of my life is going to be.

• Posted

Thank you Derek, I'll research this medication as well.
    • Posted

Dianne, can you tell me about your experience with gabapentin?  I have had pain radiating from my hip to my foot.  Also have had issues with leg cramps at night.  They didn't start until after I was put on statins for high cholesterol.  I also have several back problems, stenosis, scoliosis, bulging and herniated discs!  I have had steroid injections because I get spasms in my back when I walk. I also have rheumatoid arthritis!  My rheumy recently put me on gabapentin and told me it should help.  I was supposed to work up to 3 daily.  After taking one for about a week I could not focus to drive, like my prescription was wrong for my glasses.  I'm afraid to take more than one because I don't know how it will affect my eyesight.  Can you tell me how it's working for you, side effects?

thanks

• Posted

Hello Buckeyes I was given gabapentin after going to my doctor and sitting there crying because I couldn't stand the pain any longer. I was told to start on a low dose, sorry I can't remember what it was, and work up to as many as 12 a day which I was on for a long time together with tramadol and paracetamol. I eventually had an x ray guided spinal injection which second time around worked thank heaven. I think that is wearing off though as I have started getting the paralysing inner thigh spasms again. Does anyone have a cure for them? I take four gabapentin late afternoon at the moment to try and alleviate the discomfort I get in my legs and another dose of 4 six hours later to try and ward off the leg spasms. Let me know how you are doing. D

• Posted

As I said before I started on 1 and was to work up to 3 a day but my vision was blurry on just 1.  Do you have any problems with that?  I go to my rheumy next month and I think she's not going to be real happy I'm not taking the 3!

• Posted

Hi B, no no problems, and as far as i'm concerned it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It saved my sanity. BUT having said that everyone is different and we can all react to the same drugs differently. Neither of my daughters can take tramadol, one halucinated on it and that was while in hospital. The other one can't function the next day if she takes it. I get such a rush of energy I can't take it at night otherwise I wouldn't sleep. I hope you get sorted out soon. Let me know how you get on. D

• Posted

Thanks!  I was on it before and thought it was causing blurriness  but found out I had cataracts!  Had surgery.  The only other effect was numbness in some of my fingers.  I don't drive the freeway much and have an appointment tomorrow so will see how I do then.  Might try taking more the next day.

thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Nixxy...I can totally sympathize with you...it really is AWFUL isn't it.....but I can reassure you that it will get less and less painful over time....take all the medication that you need...also try a warm hot water bottle ....or....wheat bag on your back and leg...and very importantly, try not to get too stressed it will tighten up your muscles and cause more pain...just think if it was your husband...you would pamper him also...try to read a book, watch a film even try sketching to take more mind of the pain....

I spent nearly two weeks in hospital when a disc in my lower back ruptured one one side...and then on the other also...I really thought that I would never walk again..but now I only have minor problems such as lack of feeling ( I was offered an operation but turned it down become the consultant surgeon said that he could not guarantee success....I also have a bulging disc and osteoarthritis of the spine....but with pain control.....pregabalin......tramadol....co. codamol ......sertraline.....and heat pads I now manage very, well....I garden and do pretty much everything I used to do...

So please just try to hang on my lovely ....relax and never forget ...it really will get better with time....chin up ...and keep thinking positive....I send you big, big hugs my lovely .... take care of yourself and others.....Deirdre xxxx

• Posted

Thank you Deirdre for your kind words and you're absolutely right that keeping positive is the key to getting through this.

perhaps when some of this pain has subsided, I will be able to think more positively.

• Posted

I do know and I do sympathise with you. I have had a wretched back since 1959 after a road traffic accident and it has been giving me the run around for all those years. Up until now I have had to, like you, live on pain killers in bed whenever it chose to lock, but last November following a fall it really went to town and I am getting no relief at all. Cannot sleep, sit or stand for any time. Yesterday I had two MRI scans on lower back and pelvis, but can hardly move again this morning and another sleepless night. I cannot take muscle relaxants as they knock me out and I have to be on the ball to look after my husband who has Alzheimer's and of course, little sympathy.

i f you can do a few simple exercises like cat stretches and rolling both knees from side to side that may help. I am relying on a Tens machine used daily to get me through.

Good luck and don't give up. Perhaps it is time to ask to see another consultant?

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply Jenny, the word "locked" that you used is exactly how my back feels.its completely locked.

my heart goes out to you and your troubles but I appreciate you taking the time to answer me and once I can eventually move again, I'll try your exercises.

• Posted

Hi Nixxy. Dianne here again. I would add a word of caution re exercising. Your condition may feel exactly like Jenny's but what works for her may not be right for you. I would suggest an assessment by a physiotherapist or osteopath before you attempt any exercise. I have just finished a course of physio which I enjoyed much, to my surprise. I rate osteopathy very highly they sorted out the hideously painful spasms I used to get and which left me bedridden for days. Please keep us informed on the treatment which helps you most when you can get treatment.

D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.