Seizures

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have this massive fear of seizures as i am sure you well know.

i have read so many people stories and apparently its one of the worst medical conditions to live with. its also one of the most frightening things to see someone have.

the reason i am posting on here is i feel so scared i will develop this. i am 39 and ive heard it can just start out of the blue. i get deja vu and dreamlike feelings which are linked to seizures but i want to know what people feel during a gran mal seizure? it looks so frightening and i am so scared its going go happen to me

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What do you mean by dreamlike feelings and why do you think those would lead to seizures?

• Posted

Hi sakura,

Really hard to explain these feelings the best way I can describe these is all of a sudden rush of panic/adrenaline washes over me out of the blue and my vision almost goes a bit hazy. I also get deja vu quite a lot so when I have googles all these things it mentions seizures as a possibility. I dont know why but seizures scare the life out of me and always have so I have now convinced my self it will happen to me.

• Posted

Jonathan it sounds more like dissociation or derealization which can be symptoms of anxiety, not seizures. Look those up.

• Posted

jonathan, 1st, let me say that seizures are a WHOLE LOT more difficult to watch than they are to experience!

I know this for a Fact, as I've watched my adult daughter go through them DOZENS of times. she never remembers ANYTHING, (she's got some muscle. soreness later).....but, they're horrifying for me!

have you ever had one?

why the fear?

I will say this. anxiety does not lead to a seizure.

if you've got any questions, feel free to ask!

take care.....

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

Thank you for your message.

I just wanted to know what you feel before, during and after a seizure. The only reason I ask even though I haven't had one that I know of as of yet I am so scared in case I do.

The reason I think I am going to have a seizure is because I have had lots of deja vu and weird feelings in the past like spacey feeling and a bit detached from reality but I have had tests and neurologists do not think its epilepsy.

This condition has feared me the whole of my life and I cannot get over it. I do not know why it fears me it just does.

I am so scared because ive heard it can happen anytime out of the blue to anyone

Please help.

• Posted

hi Jonathan, I can only give you personal experience....as with most things, everyone is different.

I've only had one in my entire life, and I'm in my 60's.

my daughter and I were laying on my bed talking. all of a sudden, the "web" area btw your thumb and forefinger started pulsating. at first, I didn't pay to much attention to it, but it continued for about 45sec. I mean, I could SEE it beating! within about 3-4sec, I felt kinda like I was being pulled into a vortex.

mind you, NONE of this was painful, just weird. that's it! that's all I remember.

my daughter told me I'd had a seizure for about 30-45sec. I didn't believe her. I'd never had one before or since.

after discussing it with my doc, we came to the conclusion it was most likely due to a medication I'd stopped taking, (too quickly).

the aftermath was very sore calves.

now, my daughter has a seizure disorder. it was really bad for awhile, but I think she's finally on the right medication.

with her, she says she feels like everything's speeding up, ie.....if she's watching tv, all of a sudden she can't keep up with the dialogue, etc. then she seizes for sometimes more than a minute. it's absolutely horrifying to watch, but she doesn't remember a thing when she stops. it takes a good half hour for her to even start getting her bearings back. I start asking her questions like does she know her name, who I am, etc.

she also has very sore muscles and sometimes bites her tongue.

in any case, reading your post doesn't concern me about your proclivity to having seizures. but if you're Really worried, go talk to your doctor and tell him All your concerns.

good luck, my friend.....I'm sure you'll be fine!

btw.....anxiety does REALLY strange things to both your body AND your mind!😕

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

Gosh it must be awful and really emotional to watch your daughter go through this. I am very to hear and I really hope that things improve for you all.

I really don't know why I have always had this fear of seizures/epilepsy. I would probably say it is the one condition that gives me most panic and worry about and always has done from childhood and I am now 40 years old.

I think the reason why I am scared is because it can happen to anyone at any time out of the blue and has the most weirdest symptoms ever and must be awful for the person going through it.

I have been to doctors and neurologists in the past about the whole deja vu and panic feelings but they have dismissed as not being epilepsy but I am just not convinced. And the more I read about temporal lobe seizures or partial seizures it makes my symptoms match.

The gran mal seizures must be so hard on you watching this and I really do wish things better for you.

• Posted

hi again Jonathan,

please stop worrying so much about this.

like I said, it's NOT painful. it's confusing, but you aren't in pain, and while it's happening, you have no idea it IS happening!

and, it doesn't happen to anyone without a reason.

like I said, my ONE time was due to stopping a medication too quickly, (it should've been tapered down instead).

and my daughter has a "condition". something is misfireing in her brain. this took almost a year to diagnose.

so, you, my friend, are putting alot of energy into needless worry!

• Posted

My son had one about a month ago and I hope he doesn't have another one. Doctors don't know why it happened. But he did tell son to live life-- not to be worried.. He also said to make sure to get proper rest (8 hours) and to drink plenty of water-- so basic things I guess..

• Posted

hello Jonathan, hope you feel better now. I haved also a feeling similar to yours. i have bad health anxiety and sometimes i've got sudden fear out of nowhere last few seconds. this was started during pandemic because of my health anxiety. Sometimes the fear feeling start suddenly lasting fewsecond and wake me up at night when im sleeping ( sorry for my bad English)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.