Selective Iga deficiency and thyroid

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Newbie here, I have been diagnosed with selective Iga deficiency and low Testosterone and have nearly all the symptoms of Thyroid but was told my result 0.9 was within the normal range.  

Interestingly looking back at my blood tests I have reduced over about 3 years from 2.2 to 0.9.  Any advice please? I have read that selective Iga is linked and possibly to Hashimoto Thyroid Disorder.  Going back to doctor again as I have nearly all the symptoms.

Anyone else been in this situation, and has any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You’ll have to get a full thyroid panel. Once the disease advances enough, the TSH no longer spikes. You’ll have to check your free T3 & T4, rT3, and TPO antibodies to start with.

Also, do you have hypothyroid symptoms? Several other disorders can cause hypothyroid symptoms.

I’ve never heard of selective IgA deficiency syndrome. Not to say that it isn’t real, but now you’re getting into the immune system and thyroid disease is generally autoimmune anyway. So I’m not sure what help it is to identify IgA as a problem unless you also identify the environmental trigger for IgA irregularities. Do they recommend IgA therapy? If this exists it would be extremely costly and probably considered experimental. 

Go back and look at blood work for your full thyroid panel, glucose, a1C, vitamin and mineral deficiencies. These are easier to treat than immunobthetapy, and can result in low testosterone if they go untreated.

• Posted

Ok, I looked up IgA defiency. They say it’s genetic. Also, there is a connection between celiacs and IgAa deficiency. 

You’ll need to do a bit of research on dietary and supplement solutions. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.