Semi thyroid removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my right thyroid gland removed in early March 2018, due to a 4cm benign nodule. Prior to this I gain 12 kgs in 3 1/2 months. I had night sweats prior and have suffered from dry eyes over the past few years. Since having half thyroid removed the night sweats have stopped but I still have the weight I gained prior to surgery and my eyes are extremely dry , sore and itchy! I also feel quiet tired even with a full nights sleep. Has anyone had a similar experience? thankyou 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alana, I have not had my thyroid gland removed, but I do suffer from advanced thyroid disease. What you describe is typical stuff for thyroid disease. 

Here are some thoughts to consider...

With removal of thyroid tissue, there tends to be damage to the area and excess thyroxin is released upon removal. It takes a few months for the body to adjust. It may be that your body is swinging between hyper and hypo. This can happen as hypothyroid disease advances or with (partial)  removal, as your body trues to reregulate. 

I’ve found essential amino acids to be probably the MOST helpful of any supplement in dealing with thyroid disease.

You may also want to look into chronic pancreatitis if you're experiencing gut problems, water retention and bloating (as well as rapid weight gain). Also, adrenal exhaustion... as both pancreatitis and adrenal deficiency  often accompany hypothyroid disease. I was shocked at how much better  I felt after dietary changes and digestive supplements for pancreatitis! I dropped 20 pounds quickly and easily once I addressed the chronic pancreatitus.

Are you taking medication? This is a concern because regulating is difficult and meds have side effects. Plus, on the meds, it becomes difficult to know which symptoms are  caused by hypothyroid and which are caused by medication.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks for you reply Katherine. I’m off to the doctors tomorrow hopefully they will do the blood test, had a terrible night with insomnia , stomach pain and sciatica as well! Hopefully it gets sorted soon as feeling quite unwell atm. Cheers smile 
    • Posted

Hi Alana, sorry you’re feeling so badly.

Many thyroid patients have stomach problems. Really. A gluten free paleo style diet is helpful- absolutely no cheating on the gluten. 

However, I’ve been doing some reading and I  suspect that pancreatitis is extremely common in thyroid patients. Pancreatitis  causes every gut problem imaginable!  There is no medication for pancreatitis, but dietary changes, digestive enzymes and cleansing can be very helpful. 

I bring this up because I  feel there’s  enough scientific literature out there to support the connection between thyroid disease and pancreatitis, and the dietary changes for pancreatitis are simple, yet contrary to thyroid recommendations. Its really very important to treat the pancreatitis and it makes a huge difference!

Please do keep it in mind for future reference.

Good luck with your doctor appointment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.