Separation from those close.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Better place than any to get some help. Recenlty my parents ( who i am very very close to) have gone for a holiday abroad for 2 weeks. However, i am taking this harder then someone would normally and that has lead to anxiety and the non stop thinking about my parents and their safety. 2 weeks where i also have 12 hours a week at work during the evenings which can get lonley and sometimes depressing. I think what im trying to say is, how can i cope with this seperation? Is this normal? any tips at work to take my mind off thinking about them?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You don't say how old you are but you must obviously be old enough to work and to be left on your own as I am assuming you live with your parents.  You say you are very close to them but does that actually mean dependent on them, in that your mum and dad do things for you rather than you doing things for yourself, things like, cooking, washing and ironing and cleaning or does your mum do all that?   When your parents are NOT on holiday or away from you do you worry about their safety or is it just because they are out of your sight?  Look at it from their point of view, if you are living with them and are "very close" maybe THEY want to get away on their own for a while  Maybe they think YOU should be left on your own more to look after yourself.   It's normal to worry about the people you love but I don't think it's normal to worry as much as you seem to be doing.  Just think that they are having a wonderful, relaxing holiday and will come back and tell you all about it.  My son and family are on a month's holiday in America and, yes, I do worry about them but I hope that they are enjoying themselves and am not imaginging all sorts of horrible things happening to them.  Just relax and try to think of your parents in a positive, not a negative, way.  They'll be OK and even if something happens I'm sure they are old enough to look after themselves.
    • Posted

Hey, sorry forgot to mention that yes i am 18 but its the thought of coming home to an empty house at the end of the day. Happy to say that their flight to JFK is almost over smile honestly its more that I love them so much that i want to make the most of the time we have while we still have it. But thank you for taking the time to respond smile
  • Posted

Hi edward I have an 18 yr old son and I understand how you feel. Anxiety will present this impending doom sonetimes and we begin in our mind to think the worst. Based on the News and world events and acts of violence these days it's only right to give you the OK to be worried about your parents safety. But being 18 you are still young and also seem to be very sensitive so I won't beat you up LOL. I'm glad to see young adults care so much for thier family GOOD for YOU! Your parents are fine and I want to you focus on being happy for them and you are fine. This will give you time to get out and do some things for yourself. Enjoy having a friend over, watch some movies, go out and do something youve always wanted to do with in reason of course haha but your fine sweetie.

No stress and just breath

• Posted

Thnak you for the reply. Im just the worst when it comes to worrying about all the little things. Honestly now i have calmed down and thinking about how much fun they are going to have when they step off that plane. Im old enough now to hold down the house and look after myself. If anything now i can focus and look forawrd to them coming home. smile
  • Posted

Good for you !!! They will be very proud of you and you will be very proud of yourself. YES you know how to handle everything!! They have taught you well I'm sure. They sound like great parents!! Hope I get to hear a followup when they get home and how the trip went. Enjoy your freedom for a couple weeks smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.