Sertraline 100mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

does this med make you gain weight? I've been on th 50mg for 2 weeks and completely lost my appetite but it's just been upped to 100mg and I am worried. I already feel massive and causes more depression and anxiety as it is 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

it generally causes weight loss initially, but longer term some find weight gain results. However, the improvement of your depression may help with your weight in itself? 

Best of luck 

• Posted

+1 to this answer, which also applys to other ssri's as well. But it is a very subjective thing and a lot of people will have no change.
  • Posted

I did not gain weight on Sertraline.  Took it for years.  Did gain a lot of weight on Effexor.  We all react differently though, someone may gain weight, and another may lose weight on same drug, and some stay the same.  It is difficult for anyone to say you will gain weight.  I completely lost my appetite when I stopped Effexor and lost all the gained weight.

Don't worry about your weight at this stage, just concentrate on trying to feel better. 

• Posted

Thanks everyone 

well I comfort eat when down and depressed so surely is lose it when getting meds to be happier? Also I lose my appetite with meds x

• Posted

In my experience I didn't gain any weight until I went on Sertraline, I gained 20lbs (nearly two stones), I ate normally and worked out 3 days a week. I've been back on Citalopram for about a year but I'm still strugging to lose more than 5lbs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.